Makeing my SG better

Hello ALL!
Most of the wireing is sorted out. Stock except for RS/Chrysler rec/reg, PAMCO w/ ATU ignition and the KZ 650 taillight. I wanted to use the KZ tail light relocate it further down and further back on the fender. This is due to the larger luggage rack which would have hid the stock tail light its stock location by the seat. The turn signals were re located on the rack. They were plug and play as was the ground wire and parking circuit for the tail light. I will probably cut the brake light wire on the 6 pin cupler and put a snap pin on it to plug it in the tail light.
Things left to do:
Torque up the head/top end and install the top motor mount.
Finnish the wiring.
Clean the carbs, wet float check/adjustment
Do valve adjustment/tune-up.
Buy bushings,washers for the shock mount studs. Lot of room on the stud due to the push bar being removed.
Get the engine running and final carb, ignition settings.
Deal with anything else that rears its ugly head.
I brought out a bar end mirror that I wanted to use and tried to put it in the handlebar. For some reason the wall of the tubing is VERY thick and I cant use it. I may change handlebars. Try to find some superbike bars.
So close and so far.

Progress Today!

Finally torqued the top end! Followed by the cam chain and valve adjustment. Top motor mount was installed after the oil feed unions were torqued.
Looked for bushings for the top shock studs. Could not find anything I liked so I just bought some thick washers. It works ok. Installed the chain guard. Re-installed the rear tire.
Yes, I will admit to do a lot of staring at the XS (and sometimes the XJ too), wondering or planning and dreaming. Yes, sometimes even sitting and, bouncing (testing the suspension)on it.
Until I find petcocks for the Standard tank, I'll have to use the Special tank. I'll be looking at ebay, Mikes and 650 central. I like the bigger tank for range and looks.
Next is carb cleaning and mounting.
So close to first starting attempt.

Last edited:
Been putting some time in on her. Bought and mounted foam grips. Cut out the ends for bar end mirrors. Cleaned up the carbs a bit. Today I mounted the throttle and clutch lever. Connected and adjusted them. Clean and lubed the clutch actuator. After re-learning how to do it, I mounted the carbs.

Hello all! Been busy on the SG!! I had a feeling that I should rebuild the brake calipers. Who knows how long ago any attention were given them other than bleedings. I started with the rear caliper. It was the worst. Light rust on the back of the piston and bore. Cleaned right up with some emory paper. I have an extra caliper that came from an XS750 so I rebuilt that one first and swapped it out with the rear caliper, than rebuilt that one and swapped it out with the RT front caliper. I couldn't do that with the left front caliper. The front brake bleeding is going well. Presure is building, but not to firm handle. I've not started the rear bleeding. With the braided steel lines it really firms the braking action.
I installed the new PAMCO w/ E-advance. I mounted the e-advance over the battery(where the old glass fuses used to be)on the plastic plate-under the seat. It's away from engine heat and away from the coil. I took the RT advance lock out off and spun the rotor with the power on. One spark plug laying on the cylinder head so I can see the spark and the other plug installed like its supposed to be. Power on and spun the rotor and the sparks were strong! For connectors I used weather resistant blade connectors from Radio Shack. I got them in 2 different colors so I couldn't get them mixed up if the sticker on the box ever gets rubbed off. I also made sure one side got the male fittings and the female on the other so they can only be fitted to their respective components.
I still need to get the hardware to attach the fuel shutoffs for the Standard tank. I also should do a wet float level check.
As a side note, I replaced the intake manifolds as the old ones were getting affected by the ethanol and the rubber warped and deformed where it meets up to the head. I thought about sawing off the round portion of the manifolds and using the flat part as a intake extension like what Mikes(and others) used to sell. Was supposed to help with low end torque. It's about a 1/4" thick. Add a couple thick intake gaskets and the length is even longer. Trouble is on one of them, the rubber delaminated and now have to replace it with something. Thick wall metal pipe? Another project for later. I'll try to get some pics up later to show what I mean.

Hello All!! It's been about 2-3 weeks since the last post. That does not mean nothing has been happening! OH NO! An order was placed to Mikes for petcocks for the Standard tank and a new PAMCO w/ E-Advance & coil. More fuel line, "T" fittings and clamps found locally. Then the hard part. How the hell to fit all that in the tight space! It still leaks here and there some. Installed the new ignition system. The advance needs to be away from the coil and engine heat, so it was mounted where the glass fuse box had been, over the battery. I still don't like the way I've configured the fuel lines.
Today I couldn't wait any longer. Fuel was turned on. Key to "ON" position. Starter button pressed and engine cranked. No cough or sputter. Timing plate was moved several times. Mixture adjusted many times. Started getting sputters. Adjustments made. Motor was waking up and Talking to me, telling me what it needed. Then the sweet sound she makes when she holds an idle that first time. Makes all he sweat, $$$ spent and time worth while. Hearing the second carb kicking in and the RPM's rising. MMMMMMM!! You builders know what I mean. You first timers will find out. Sure, there's a lot of final things to do before the first ride, but it's good to know she runs. Pics later.

Well all, Carbs are balanced, Mixtures set, Going to retorque the head and install the tank in he A.M.. Getting the petcock to tank to seal has been a trial and error process. Finding the right gasket and sealant to use took a while. Right now I'm using 6mm allenhead with a steel washer and a 6mm copper washer for a seal and a thin Felpro gas proof gasket material and a gas resistant sealant. I'm letting it set up dry overnight before putting gas to it. Little round clamps on fuel lines works great. In the morning I'm getting my baby insured, registered, retorque the head add gas tank and gas and gonna try my SG on the road again. See how the changes to suspension, engine and brakes go.

Well last night I torqued the head again, torqued and cotter pinned the axles. Gave 'er a good once over and deemed her ready for the road. Almost forgot, Got insurance and registration so she is legal for the street.

Scabber, I've had this bike for about 3-4 yrs. She ran real good for me in her bone stock way back then. When I ran out of cam chain adjustment I knew it was time for replacement and to make my mark on her. Today's ride confirmed that all my work was worth it. Sure she was hard to start, a might cantankerous running. Added some "Seafoam" to the gas and she started running better and better. There's still some tuning to do, Carb and suspension, but that's to be expected in these early fine tuning days. It's all part of the fun with these bikes. One must wrench to ride these fine machines.

This is not the final plans for this machine. There's still that 18" rear disc braked wheel from the XS750 to be modded. That's for later. Need to get some miles on her for now.

I LOVE MY SG!! Took my baby on the highway today. This bike hauls. I am SO glad I did all the mods.
Opened up the airboxes, 256 cam, 5th gear OD,17/32 gearing. Smoothed the intakes and exhausts a bit. Koni shocks, tapered steering bearings, new progressive front fork springs, Bronze swingarm bushings. All brake lines braided stainless steel. Rebilt calipers. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but you get the drift. This is in addition to things done prior this rebuild. Seems I need to go up a step with the pilot jet due to opening up he airboxes. Clear up that off idle stumble. Go up a step with the Koni rebound adjustment to stop some bouncing. Experienced some front end wobble due to headwinds and highway speeds. Steering stabilizer would be nice to have added at some time.
I am by no means an expert cycle wrench. I've done a LOT of reading from this and other forums. I've wrenched 3.5 HP lawnmowers to F-16 fighter jets. Research/information is your most important tool. It's worth all the time you put into it.
All I know is all the time spent reading, wrenching, sweating, pain from bumps and bent over backs, squished fingers, sweat in the eyes, paying Mikes XS,UPS,USPS and local shops and tuning. When you hear her idle smoothly, rev sweetly, you snick her in 1st, run her through the gears, feeling the power.....Yeah,... it was worth it ALL!

Been out tuning/riding this bike. Can't get enough of it. Before, it did NOT like going over 55-60 mph. Compression/timing/carbs was fine. It just felt like it run out of steam and to do more was it was being over revved. Now, she LOVES the highway!! Took her up to Picacho Peak for Rooster Cogburns Ostrich Farm. 75mph on the highway. NO problem and could have done more. Due to headwinds going up there, the front end felt a bit twitchy. Coming back, no problem. Speedo is not even close so I caught up to the wife in the car, paced with her for a while and gave her some space. Speedo said about 62/65. I asked her what were we doing and she said 70-75. Tach was showing under 4.5k rpm. 16" rear tire,17/32 sprockets and Mike's OD 5th gear. I was so proud of her. Thundering pipes never missed a beat. I was smiling like a maniac in the helmet. My visiting sister and her husband and my wife and daughter got to see me ride for the fist time. Other than going out and in the driveway.

I've been riding and tuning. Tuning and riding. I've always felt the main circuit was running a bit lean. I raised the needle to it's lowest groove and took her out. Ohhhhhhhh Maaannnnnnnnnn!! THAT helped a LOT!! Maybe it's time to put the next bigger mainjet in. Must be due to the 3rd hole in the stock airboxes.

Made another improvment. I tried one fuel feed where the lines went outside the carbs, down to "T" and up to the BS34's "T". Never liked the looks and worried it would rub with the carb linlage. Well now using a "Y", a couple 90' filters and short links of fuellines, it's all inside the carb area and a neat package.

Attachments

• 734.jpg
    734.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 165
This is all quite interesting, azman857. I've never experienced the later models and the later cams. Does the 256 cam really make that much of a difference? Your "Loves the HIGHWAY!!" report sure sounds familiar...

TwoManyXS1Bs Sorry for the delay in responding. Now that the camchain has stretched, it's not as fast as it used to be. It's still a great B roads bike. Makes me wish I have that 3 bolt cam timing adjuster from Megacycle Cams on it. That way I can reset the cam to compensate the cam chain stretch.

Right now, the safety switch died, sooo that and the light control thingy were removed, connecter plugs cut off and promply thrown over left shoulder to the circular file. Reason for the connector plugs being saved was I've always wanted to have a headlight On/Off switch on the Rt switchpod. I saved the connectors in case I needed them for a clean way to make the needed bypass curcuits and not cut the harness. The '80 SG switchpod cannot be used to add the switch componates. I tried using a mid 70's XS650 dual throttle cable switchpod. Filed the nylon throttle and the housing so the throttle would rotate freely. Curcuit connections made. SG Throttle cable installed and its too short. Big sigh of frustration. Plan "B".... I have a Kawasaki switchpod for another KZ/Gpz project that might be made to work. I'll have to use the KZ throttle cable and make a bracket at the car end. If it works I'll Take pics and how I did it. Stay tuned. More improvments!!

Final connections made. Battery reconnected. No sparks. Ignition switch turned on. No smoke. All good so far. Headlight turned on and it comes on! Turnsignals still work. Crank the engine to start and it does! Still no smoking wires or blown fuses. Brake lights work as normal! Pictures taken and I'll post them after I shrink them.
I'll show you also how fuses were changed to modern style.

Things have happened since last post. They have been posted elsewhere so this is accually sort of a repost.

I've done clutch plates and springs replacement to cure the slippage. Had to get a new front tire because I kept the pressure too high. Rear is due now. I'm running Shinko 712's. I'm wondering if 230's is available in 130/16 size. I do put some "B" road touring. 100-150 mile day trips. Sometimes a bit of I-10 action.

I'm sure there are 6 things I've forgotten. All in all I love this bike!! I've still got some more plans for the head. I will take photos.

Hello again! I ordered and recieved the Shinko 230 rear tire. Got it mounted and balanced at a shop. Took it out on a 200mi journey today that happened to include some rain ,nothing heavy or long time. I'm still using a Shinko 712 up front. I was using a 712 on the back too and they tended to follow cracks/grooves on the road. Sometimes the handling was squirlly. With the 230 on the back wheel, ALL squirrly actions ceaced. I rode on some crosshatch on the road and nothing but straight rolling. It was soooo nice. With either tire there was never a question of traction. There was always plenty. I did also jack up the spring tension and upped the setting on the Konis. Wanted to see what it would do to the handling. A bit stiffer but not too bad. I might take the spring tension back down and leave the rebound at 3. All in all, The 230 is a great tire. Can't comment on how long lasting its going to be. The last 712 on the rear didn't last very long due to me keepng the pressure too high. Even still, they gave a decent amount of service.

I'm running the 712s as well. I've used just a rear before but this is my first time with a matched set. I'm not crazy about the front. I do run them rather hard though (32 front, 36 rear). What pressures did you find too hard and have you determined a lesser, better working setting?

I think I was running 30-35. Tire wore out early. I won't say quickly because it was 17-18 months and I did put a lot of miles on it. I'm running 25-28 now.

Back