Making Progress on my B

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
A few months ago this bike that I have owned since the early 90's was covered in dust, a tank and carbs with a quart of gelled and tarnished fuel. With your help I have gotten her running again and now even tho she has a long way to go, on my shoestring budget, I am getting to a bit more cleanup. The tanks clear coat had faded to a gross cataract on it. I wet sanded with 600, 800 1200 then 1500. then I used the best lite buffing polish I have ever used. it is called the Novus system. a 3 part polish. followed with Butter wet polish from "The chemical Guys"
I am doubting if I need a Paint job now. I have a paintless dent pulling system coming for the one Large jawbreaker sized dent, and a smaller ding. Even tho she has a long way to go, I am pretty proud of the results. AND A HUGE thanks to my new XS Brothers. Without your help, NO WAY would it be this far..
I have a set of Bullet Mufflers and trying to scratch up the money for a used set of mufflers a member here has.

Attachments

• Tank Before.jpg
    Tank Before.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Tank after.jpg
    Tank after.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Cleaned.jpg
    Cleaned.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Robinc, I have owned around 7 or 8 650's, and to my opinion everything came together with the 75B, they were just right, kind of like the 3 Bears story. The Bikes before had different issues and the 76 and up kind of lost the slinky look and feel. Perhaps it is just me that feels that way.
Yamaha took the British "feel" away from them to make the rider have more of a Colonial seating posture, sitting back a bit. I did have a TX 650 (73) that had 4" over front forks, it was a very clean bike and I had put a King Queen seat on her, stripped the Flasher stalks off. I really liked it but it liked to speckle the back of my jacket with it's "self oiler" lol. even tho it only had 7000 miles on it. I jumped on it pretty hard on the highway one nice cool Summer day and it momentarily lost power then both started firing again but it always had a slight miss after that. Still started first kick, but I always wondered what I did to it? I thought bent valve? don't know.. I sold it for about $300.00 in 1985.
My next thing with this bike is to lube the Advance system. I don't know how but I am sure there is a good Thread here somewhere, and I am sure someone will have it bookmarked.
But back to this 75B, even tho it is stock, is is by far the strongest runner of the other ones I have owned (1971-1978). My Bro-In-Law has Special in pretty good shape with a slight electrical issue, think I can get it for about $500.00.

I agree Orion61, and there are many others on this forum that I have read who think the 75B was the nicest. Just something about those graphics and the rest of the bike that just looks right. A 75B to redo is on the very top of my "wish list".
Hey look at SEd27's restomod. He used the 75 graphics.
I know you have certainly had more than your fair share of challenges but if there is someway you can pry $500.00 out of somewhere you gotta grab that one. You WILL need another project!

If you are talking to me WJ, it is Larry, My good friends and family call me by my middle name Duane.. I put you guys in the "good friends" category.
But yeah robin the graphics do it for the B. I had never seen some of the different colors for the 75, There is a green that is very sweet!As far as challenges go, I have turned the corner and am feeling much better. I don't know if this makes much sense to anybody but working on the 650 has been the best Therapy for me. It has given me something to work for and seeing each small improvement gives me somewhat a sense of normalcy that I haven't had since 2007 when I was hurt. Honestly there were days when I just wanted to end it, make the pain go away, You might say the folks here just might have saved a life by being the great guys you are... I did get fully awarded SSI Disability but they have had it screwed up since June, They arent paying me thinking I am getting a check from Work Comp, which I haven't since 2013....Otherwise I would have snatched up those 75 Mufflers already!
I am tempted to sell my Boulevard to fund the restoration (and other 650).... But I would be good if I won the Give away Exhaust, (grin) I'm due some GOOD luck for a change!

Duane, glad the '650 therapy program' has reaped such positive benefits for you. I have friends in similar situations and have personally experienced recovery from serious injury so can totally relate to your where you're at. And yes, this forum pays back in many ways beyond just some info and advice. Hang in, we're all rooting for ya.
Be well.

Every time I see your threads, I look, because they are always interesting Duane. I see the therapy in you bike, it's looking good, it's more stock than mine! "Black is not a color" my father, the art lecturer, used to tell me, and personally I never really liked anything painted black, I didn't own a black shirt....until I came across the 75B. Now I have a black bike, a black XS 650 club of Australia tee shirt, a black jacket for riding ha!
The bike was extra good to me just recently, I used it to get my ass up and back riding after a fractured ankle....everyday rider, after being made redundant for 11 months.
Keep your chin up brother, if I win the exhaust, I'll share it with you, maybe....ha! :laughing:

Back