March 2012 XSOTM restoration, survivor nominations

whadda y'all think? Is T cat's bike a resto - survivor? It's on thin ice as far as the mods he's done, but?????

Dang if you didn't shoulder some work Gary.
I'll second littlebill's scoot.
This sound about right so far?

5twins- accepted
grepper- 2nded waiting on acceptance.
Tack427-2nded waiting on acceptance.
littlebill- 2nded waiting on acceptance.
Yamasauris- 2nded waiting on acceptance.

Kingwj - nominated

TeeCat this is my opinion only, you are a GREAT community member. You've done an admirable job staying with the XS and working through the problems, both those that are inherent and those you *ahem* created. But with your mods your bike isn't what someone remembers themselves riding.
I get a kick/tickled/excited when someone walks acrosss the parking lot to look at the "F" and looking at my bike takes them back to the day they owned one. As you know memories are our own and no two people have the same meories of the same things but your 2-1 intake and cafe'd seat would confuse that memory. Too far outside of what they remember.
BUT when it comes around to cafe style bikes again I WILL nominate you.

I don't know if he is on the site much any more but I would like to nominate
Kingwj's 79 "F". The last I know with the exception of dual front brakes he has keep the last of the standards stock and still rides it that way. I'll have to search the 650rider site for pics.

I accept. And Thanks!
I too love the survivors. I love all bikes, no matter what they are, but really get a kick out of dull, faded bikes still roaming the streets in all their original filth, lol. Probably why barn finds are more valuable with the dust still on 'em.

As for my bike, I got it from JAGUARGOD in a trade. It didn't run well, or at all, I think, when he got it. Well it didn't run when I got it. Now she purrs like a twin. Just basic stuff done to it. Brass washers on the head, hex head tappets. That's about it.
I'm going to leave it all stock. It still has the center-stand, reflectors and everything. The only thing missing is the air boxes and lower side covers.
It's a great bike to cruise on. And has been a great daily rider.

PS there will be BECAUSE THAT"S THE WAY I WANT IT contest one of these months and TCat's bike will fit that, well, to a Tee!

Fair 'nuff, chaps... well put and no skin off. :) I just put her out there because the "resto/survivor" category wasn't really sharply defined, and I figured she'd qualify due to lack of "irreversible" mods (I haven't really done anything to her that any one of you could not reverse with relative ease). But yeah... fair points, so no worries. (Never really perceived her as a pure cafe... more of a cafe-roadster... so I guess she confuses even me! :p )

TC

I accept with pride. Thank you all for the forum.

Attached is the bike when I brought it home. At least it was a numbers matching XS1.

Attachments

• XS1 AS PURCHASED.jpg
    XS1 AS PURCHASED.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 387
BWAHAHAHAHA

I went to an auction once and there was an E-type Jag being sold. Rust bucket hunk-o-poo it was. No engine, no interior, just all shot. The auctioneer said it was a real, rare barn find and the dust was proof. No, it was a dirty rust bucket that was abandoned.
Shows on tv say their value increases because of the dust and cars even win awards because of the barn dust. Crazy.
Ever seen "Chasing Classic Cars" on tv? lol.

I accept with pride:D

As for T-Cat's bike. You guys make a good point that it's hard to call it a restore. In his defense, it does have the original paint scheme. Plus, he's been a loyal member of the forum.

As for my bike. What's not original is;
Exhaust: MikesXS replacement headers and Commando muffs.
Mirrors: Originals were round black plastic. The plastic was pretty dried out, the new ones are round chrome.
Regulator/Rectifier: Replaced the the Chrysler Regulator and Radio Shack Rectifier, plus a modern blade fuse replaced the original glass tube type.
Handle Bars: are Mike's Euro-bars, but I plan to go back to the stock ones this spring.
After market seat cover (no Yamaha log on the back).
MikesXS 12 3/4" shocks, bronze swing-arm bushings, tapered head bearings...
After Market front Mast Cylinder too.

Not original on my bike =
pamco
seat cover
homemade fuse box - glass fuses
air pods
Jb weld in small hole on muffler (lol)

--------
not including:
tires
tune up parts: coil, wires, plugs
front brake line
fluids
paint
assorted rubber bits
-----
I even think the brake pads are original, and need to be replaced

I guess I'll throw my bike into the mix. 1979 F model. All stock except for rear shocks, dual disk and solid state regulator. Have all the original pieces so it could go to 100% stock. FYI- the seat cover has been replaced with an original Yamaha part so the split is gone.

Attachments

• cimg2187.jpg
    cimg2187.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 347
I like to throw my bike into the ring if it's not too late. It's a 1977 standard, all original except for the added passenger grab bar and my painting the cylinders black. It has a little over 23,000 miles. It was an eBay purchase about a year and a half ago. Mechanically sound so all I had to do was strip it down, repaint frame, and polish all the rest. Made a point of saving all the pics when I was working on it. I Plan on added a Pamco this spring.

Attachments

• my 1977D-detailed-left-side.jpg
    my 1977D-detailed-left-side.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 367
OK we have 5 accepted and a serious runner up!
The voting cut off is for the first 5 nominated, 2nded and accepted bikes.
So Tack427 would be the last of the 5?
That happened quick this time.

@Kingwj, pictures just don't do justice to the Cobalt Blue paint.

@resto, Sweet "D" it looks show room new!

@TeeCat, when Gary annouces the "BECAUSE THAT"S THE WAY I WANT IT" contest.
I got your back.:thumbsup:

@ all the participants
No doubt thousands of hours of fit, spit and polish have been spent to retain the sleek beauty of your bikes. You have helped age them gracefully and they are CLASSICS.

Nice summation of the nominating activity, weekendrider. :) And congrats to all the nominees, as well as thanks to those who stepped forward with their bikes. :)

TC

Im gonna try and come at the last second..... This is a 1975 XS650B pulled from under a deck where it had been laying in it's side since 1981. Just some elbow grease crome polish and a major engine and carb overhaul...thats all....
Runs great now, need upgrades though...

Attachments

• 650otm.jpg
    650otm.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 368
Back