1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Master cylinder rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mchinn, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Mchinn

Mchinn XS650 Member

I have a 1976 Yamaha XS 650. The master cylinder Rebuild kit get that I purchased from Mike’s XS is a rebuild kit for their aftermarket unit. I’m trying to find a rebuild kit for a stock master cylinder

Jim likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Just checked K&L's application chart and they only go back to 77. So.... not sure. Have you tried Ebay?
    Have you taken it apart yet? Oftentimes you can get away with just cleaning 'em up and reusing the old seals.
    What part of Mo. you from?

lakeview likes this.
  3. willis

willis xsive compulsive disorder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Try Niche Cycle Supply.

grizld1 likes this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Just checked Partzilla. They have an OEM kit for.... are you sittin' down..... 77 bucks. :yikes:

grizld1 and Mchinn like this.
  5. Mchinn

Mchinn XS650 Member

Yep I took it apart it was completely rusted I’m really not sure at this point if I’ll be able to clean it up and reuse it. Gonna have to check it out again when I get back home. Also I live at the lake of the Ozarks.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If you're not doing a full 10 point resto then a slightly smaller MC than what came stock will work better. It will give better "feel" and modulation. Stock size was 16mm or 5/8". The 14mm size used on the '77 and later models would work well. If you end up needing to replace it, this is the route I would go.

grizld1, gggGary and timbeck like this.
  7. Mchinn

Mchinn XS650 Member

Ok thanks

gggGary likes this.
  8. Mchinn

Mchinn XS650 Member

well did a lot of search and was able to find a kit on eBay for $20. So we shall see LOL

grizld1 and gggGary like this.
  9. Mchinn

Mchinn XS650 Member

I was able to find one through this company appreciate it

Jim, grizld1 and gggGary like this.
  10. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 Cafe Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I have all my original front brake parts for my 80’ XS if your looking for a used part send me a PM and I’ll see if I can work something out with you.

Jim and grizld1 like this.
  11. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

While you're working on the brakes, bear in mind that recommended service life for rubber brake lines is 4 years.

Jim likes this.
  12. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

After advice on this Forum, I installed the braided lines from Banggood. They seem OK and they are cheap enough to buy a couple. Only problem was that they had to have a slight twist in them to face up to the cylinder/calliper inlets - no swivelling ends, least not on the version I got. They did have them but had sold out by the time I ordered.

Jim and gggGary like this.