Master Cylinder Rebuilding

Alright, alright, no need to kick me in the bollocks when I’m down... Different strokes for different folks.

Also pretty pissed the rattlecan DupliColor engine enamel isn’t as stout around parts cleaner as I remember, let alone brake fluid. Maybe it didn’t cure properly in the cold?

Anyway, this is what I plan on sticking with until something I feel is a better solution for my build comes around. So, K&L? Link?

Also pretty pissed the rattlecan DupliColor engine enamel isn’t as stout around parts cleaner as I remember, let alone brake fluid. Maybe it didn’t cure properly in the cold?
Find some VHT caliper paint. Advance Auto Parts sells it here. You should be able to find it there as well. Did both masters and wheel cylinders, spilled brake fluid on 'em... no affect. Great stuff. Once I found the VHT stuff, I threw all my Duplicolor cans in the bin. :rolleyes:

lil more advice ?
20191130_181054.jpg

The Standard master cylinder rebuilt is a great master cylinder to pump dual calipers with
:cool:
Jim gonna +1 on double disc as well ? Lol
:lmao:

Attachments

• 20191130_181116.jpg
    20191130_181116.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 185
Thanks! Jim, you’ve got twin front discs on a Special?! With the 7-point wheels!? Now I’m intrigued by your setup! ‘80 Special here, and it’s something I’ve thought about doing eventually, but thought I’d need different hubs?

Here's my resto thread. The brake mod is about a hundred pages in. Stock wheel takes 2 discs just fine.
A somewhat funny story about the wheels taking a second disk.

I was leaning heavy towards going to the dual front brakes on the old ride to work bike with the sidecar. So one day when I had the front wheel off to install a new front tire I just popped that plastic cover filling the bolt holes for the second disk and bolted on a spare disk I had laying around. Well my search for a cheap caliper to fit that side was not coming through so I put that idea on the back burner.

Next time my NYS annual safety inspection come due I stop by the local bike shop to get it done. Well when the kid doing the inspection saw the disk and no caliper he was all set to fail the bike. I believe I had to have him check with his boss who is a fan of the XS650's to get him to explain to the kid that the bike can standard with the single disk brake on the front so he could not fail it just because it had a disk and no caliper as long as the stock one worked fine.

“Note my avatar”? Yeah, but you’re spoked? I’m an ‘80 Special, like Jim, or at least that era... I haven’t really even looked to be honest? There’s that big speedo drive... Jim, are there holes? Are they tapped from the factory?

Keep in mind, I have at least two of almost everything, and I’ve kinda wondered if the right caliper from the single-caliper on the Special can just be flipped and used as a left caliper?As anyone with a Late-Model Special knows, the left fork looks like it was made to mount a caliper...

Seriously considering dual-discs up front now... Hmm, just trying to get her street legal as of right now, but...

You need a left-handed caliper and mounting bracket. The bleed nipple and line connection locations differ. They were used on several other Yamaha models, the SR500 single being one.

XS750 XS850 STANDARDS only, the specials are different.
Yes, XS750/850 are 7mm disc equipped and are the quickest and easiest left side add on. Remember, the SR500 left side brake is a 5mm thick disc and the Caliper hanger is cast narrower than the XS components for that 5mm disc.
The SR500 caliper is the same as an XS caliper however.
-R

And I really can’t say I regret buying my Special. If you knew what I paid for it, you’d totally understand. A gentleman doesn’t tell, but I’ll give you a hint: Take the number you’re thinking (keep in mind, I got a literal truckload of spares), cut it in half, and it’s probably less than that.

It was so cheap that I’d have to be a complete asshole to pass it up.

The 5mm thick SR500 disc I'm running and measured was made 5mm thick by taking 1mm off each side, not 2mm off the front or back. It's offset from the mount surface to the center of the 5mm disc surface is the same as the 7mm disc.

Alright dudes, here’s what’s up...

My replacement rebuild kit came today. Now, here’s what was in this “Standard” front MC when I took it apart:
275D536E-CCD5-4AB4-8F9B-61216188437D.jpeg

A2C7B8E7-A666-4E0C-A07E-36871B348F27.jpeg

You can kinda see how the daisy-shape on the end of that piston is imprinted on the “business-end” seal, then there’s the cap on the spring, where it goes into the cup shape on the other side of the “business-end” seal. I don’t know if that daisy-shape was somehow originally adhered to the piston, or just held in by tension and the cap on the spring?

Back