Master heater

the Norwegian

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over here the temperature is slowly sinking down to "not ride degrees", it's about 42 degrees Fahrenheit today and i think i did the last ride for the season yesterday @ 53 deg.F. It was a sunny day and i rode for about two hours mainly on the backroads, not fast but a lot of thight curves.

So it is garage time, about five months of it!

Anyway, i use a Master heater (kerosene) to heat up the garage/shop/shed.
But it does not work as intended, sometimes it don't ignites but the fan and fuelpump runs which results in a mess on the floor, but every now and then it starts after a while, like a rocketengine with twenty feet of open flames that is.
If i switch the leads it starts ok. Here we have a different powersockets than in the US which makes it possible to switch the leads by turn the socket 180 degrees.
It is of course made to work either way.

How can i fix this issue?

Located the servicemanual for it:http://www.desatech.com/techDocs/DESA SPARK PLUG IGNITION SERVICE MANUAL.pdf

Sorry about the bad english writing.

We have similar problem here with Recreational Vehicle LPG heaters.
Usually with the spark plug, or the igniter.

Check your sparkplug for cleanliness. Clean if necessary.
Maybe try the sparkplug setback mentioned at the bottom of page 22 of your manual.

Your igniter is a "constant ON" design. It may be going bad...

We have similar problem here with Recreational Vehicle LPG heaters.
Usually with the spark plug, or the igniter.

Check your sparkplug for cleanliness. Clean if necessary.
Maybe try the sparkplug setback mentioned at the bottom of page 22 of your manual.

Your igniter is a "constant ON" design. It may be going bad...

Thank's for the reply.
The sparkplug is replaced, maybe ten startups and fifteen hours runtime since new. And it looks ok.

But i dont understad why it works when i switch the wire's?

If it dont start i just have to turn the socket in the picture 180 degrees it works ok.

St_pselmed_fork.jpg

Is your electrical power 220 volts? You might check to see if you are getting a 110 volts on each leg of your outlet.

the Norwegian,

I don't think it has anything to do with reversing the plug. It's just the time it takes to reverse the plug allows the system to reset. I would try leaving it unplugged when not in use.

Back