Matt's '76

LEGEND_10

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been coming to this forum for the past couple years looking for answers and inspiration for my build and have yet to post anything myself. I'm getting really close to getting her back on the road, and figured I should post some photos of the progress (better late than never). Let me know what you think!

So the bike started out with a coworker of mine who picked it up for the Barstow to Vegas Offroad race (w/ 11k mi). He brought it to me to install the Omar's pipes, clean the carbs, and jet. I thought he was crazy and didn't think the bike would survive. Well she did, although pretty beaten up, I bought her and have been completely rebuilding since. Here it is before the beating.

After the trip across the desert, the suspension was blown out, bars were destroyed, and barely running. She was in need of some serious TLC.

I grew up riding motocross, and riding in the desert and wanted to give the bike a scrambler / tracker kind of feel.

My first focus was to rebuild the motor. I sent the crank and cam to Hugh for the rephase, bored the cylinders to 700cc for the JE pistons, rebuilt the head, installed Hughs PMA, Pamco Ignition, removed all associated starter gearing and components,

My buddy had these PWK's laying around so I decided to give them a go over the CV's. I put on some UNI pod filters to hopefully help me tune these things in. I haven't read too much good about tuning them, so any advice you guys have other than getting different carbs would be greatly appreciated.

Since the forks needed to be rebuilt I decided to go with the '01 R6 (43mm) front end conversion . I used '01 R6 calipers, and 300mm rotors from mikesxs, so the bolt pattern matched the xs hub and the outer diameter matched the R6 calipers. Machined some spacers to off set the rotors, as well some wheel spacers.

For the upper portion of the fork conversion, custom machined top triple clamp and handlebar risers.

Here is after I removed the many extra tabs and brackets I was no longer going to need or have a use for, and welded in the battery tray and seat brackets.

I did throw the motor in and get it running before I tore it back down for powder coat and paint. Had some fun trying to mount the two massive coils.

Here is the roller once the frame and rims came back from powder coat. I installed S.S. spokes and nipples,new sealed wheel bearings, and picked up some matching rear shocks.

Got the motor back in and ready for wiring.
I wanted to modernize the electrical system so all the old wiring had to go! I decided to run the Motogadget M-Unit with M-button & M-Lock, Motogadget bar end signals, Motone push button switches, and MAX GPS speedo.

Sorry for the long post. Almost done. Here is the current state. Just waiting for the tank to get painted.
Thanks,
Matt

Cool Project! Thanks for taking us along! Keep us posted with the progress.

Matt,
What a beautiful bike! Your work is top notch! And your photography is great also. Really looking forward to seeing the finished bike , keep up the nice work!
Bob

Very nice - beautiful craftsmanship!

I see that you’re also an XS650 / ST1300 man! ...the ideal combination of classic moto style and brute force highway burner!

Matt---You have built a very special machine,great workmanship, congratulations.
tim

Great work Matt. I really like the tidy wiring, but are you not concerned about getting fresh air to your Reg/Rec unit? Seems like it could generate some considerable heat in that box without any airflow across the heat sink.

More concerning is that the reg/rec looks like a Chinese repop from HHB.........
tim

Great work Matt. I really like the tidy wiring, but are you not concerned about getting fresh air to your Reg/Rec unit? Seems like it could generate some considerable heat in that box without any airflow across the heat sink.

Thanks Willis. The reg/rec is sitting on some standoffs to hopefully help with air flow and the front portion of the tray does have an opening (hard to see in the photo), which I'm hoping will provide enough air, but im definitely going to look into getting more air in there. Do these HHB provided Reg/Rec tend to overheat?

Wow really nice work, I love it. How did you make that tray for the battery under the seat?

Matt---HHB also sells an upgrade to the PMA kit. Check out his MOSFET reg/rec description he basicly states it will cure problems.
tim

Wow really nice work, I love it. How did you make that tray for the battery under the seat?

Thanks Camilo. I started with a cardboard template with the shape I wanted. Drew it out on a piece of sheet metal, trimmed off the excess and bent it up in a vise in 1 piece, then welded it together in the frame.

Matt---HHB also sells an upgrade to the PMA kit. Check out his MOSFET reg/rec description he basicly states it will cure problems.
tim
Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely looking at picking one up now. I'm also looking at relocating the current reg/rec outside of the tray. Trying to decide between the underside of the tray, or make a splash guard and mount it there. Are the dimensions / mounting provisions on MOSFET the same as the standard HHB reg/rec?

Tank is just about ready!

20180821_194246.jpg

Matt,
Your workmanship is just stellar. It looks as though it was built in a professional shop. I’m curious, have you done many builds? Are you a hot rod guy? You clearly have skills. Congratulations on your build, you’ve got yourself a calendar nomination already.
—Bob

Matt,
Your workmanship is just stellar. It looks as though it was built in a professional shop. I’m curious, have you done many builds? Are you a hot rod guy? You clearly have skills. Congratulations on your build, you’ve got yourself a calendar nomination already.
—Bob

Thank you for the compliments Bob! This was my first build, and I was raised on hot rods haha. I would love a shot at being on the calendar, just need to get some good photos

Back