May XSOTM WIDE OPEN contest, nomination thread.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's late and I'm a slacker so let's do this!
Seen a pristine XS1? nominate it. Your dream ride is a turbo'd hill climber? that's fair game too! If it's got an XS650 engine it could win.

Here's the special pared down boilerplate for this month

First, someone "nominates" a bike they'd like to see in this month's competition, Next, someone else "seconds" the nomination. Lastly, ANYONE can accept the nomination and the bike is in the competition. The bike's owner DOES NOT need to be a member this month.
When I think we have enough contestants I'll close the nominations and we will go to voting!

you're encouraged to post a bike and description here for someone to else to nominate.

-- Nominators must post a photo.
Anyone is allowed (encouraged) to post and talk about the bikes, what they like, and ask questions.

If you make a nomination please try to let the bike owner know so they can follow the thread, post pictures, links to build threads, accept etc.

Gary,
Having a hard time understanding the this month's category. Is it anything with an xs650 Engine? With the intent to lean towards the highly modified bikes?

If so, I'll nominate May's winner.
Yamaha_Chop's Sports Bike
DSCN1163.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229

Those look great to me!
And yup if it's got an XS650 engine it can be nominated.

Dammit! I was sure this month would be beaters and I would get to enter. :D

So I will nominate C-Los SD. This bike is shiny.

DSCN0540.jpg

Thanks! I accept here's some more info

This was a “winter project” turned two year build the bike was bought as a runner. Well running with a bad tick turned out to have very low compression and had been run low on oil for a long time. I pulled the engine down to find the piston skirts had been slapping and the rockers and cam were toast.After a full rebuild, and a couple of parts set backs. She runs great and puts a smile on my face every time I kick it over Special thanks to MMM @ 650central for the carb advice and Scott at xs650exhuast.com for making what I had pictured in my head in to reality.
The suspension was setup with a 19"/19" wheel combo with an adaptor kit from Omarsdtr.com. I sent the legs to hugh at hughshandbuilt.com to chuck the legs up in the lathe and cut the fender mounts off. Once back I powder coated the lower legs black and installed gold valves,new springs,seals and new stanchions. The triples are currently being reworked at sideeffects to decrease the trail and provide lighter steering http://www.sidecars.ca/. The dual disk setup front is actuated by a zx10r radial master and stainless steel lines. To stiffen up the rear I installed bronze swingarm bushings and under braced the swingarm.
The sidecar was pulled out of a barn in WV with a bit of damage and a sweet rattle can paint job complete with american eagle decal on the front. I split the tub to fix the damage and applied Raptor liner to the bottom and interior. With the help of Scott from xs650exhaust.com we got it mounted up proper with a killer subframe that cradles the frame and gave a better position for the rear mount allowing for the proper amount of wheel lead. The swingarm was extended and the puny stock Velorex axle was replaced with a rear xs650 axle. This allowed the use of the leftover 16" rear wheel and a progressive shock was powder coated to match the bikes.With all of the suspension mods done to the sidecar the suspension all now works in unison.
My brother Chris Gott from Sterling Hot Rods sterlinghotrods.com handled the paint and laid down the slick flake job. Hours of sanding and a few hours of taping and un-taping the graphics until we could decide on something be both liked. And all the other fab and quaipowdercoat work was done by myself.
Thanks again to Scott @ www.xs650exhuast.com
MMM @ www.650central.com
Hugh @ www.hughshandbuilt.com
Chris Gott @ www.sterlinghotrods.com
and Dan "Nubbs" Sugrue for the photos http://www.facebook.com/NubbsPhoto

Chassis / Suspension/ Brakes /Electronics
• De- tabbed frame
• Tx500 tank with relocated petcocks and flush gas cap
• Omars rear tail section
• Sportster headlamp
• Drz400sm footpegs
• Forks have new springs and gold valves also had the Fender mounts shaved by Hugh’s handbuilt
• Powder coated stock triples with Pro taper fat bars
• K & S switch gear from Dime city cycles
• Zx10r radial master cylinder and clutch perch
• Dual drilled disc’s and powder coated calipers
. Underbraced swingarm with bronze bushings
• Omars 19” rear conversion and 520 sprockets
• Knock off Ohiln’s shocks
• Custom battery box holds all of the electronics
• Motolana turn signal brackets and signals from dime city
• Acewell 2853 speedo / tach from dime city

Engine
• 2nd over rings and pistons
• New cam chain
• Wrinkle black powder coat
• Boyer micro power ignition from MMM @ 650CENTRAL.COM
• VM34 carbs from MMM @ 650CENTRAL.COM
• Wired from scratch using weather pack connectors
• Custom pipes from Gordon Scott Engineering @ xs650exhuast.com
Sidecar
• Velorex sidecar
• Custom subframe made by Gordon Scott Engineering
• Beefed up / Braced frame added the step and custom fender mount
• Custom fender and sparto tail lamp
• Extended swingarm and progressive shock
• 16” xs650 wheel / axle conversion
• Re-upholstered seat
• Spit the tub in two and raptor lined the bottom and interior
Paint /Powdercoat
• Roth flake – Warm Beer Metal flake Over black with black graphics by Chris Gott @ Sterling Hotrods.
• Hours and hours of sanding
• More sanding
• Everything that is not painted flake has been powder coated by myself

side2.jpg

side1.jpg

IMG2957-L.jpg

IMG2829-XL.jpg

IMG2918-XL.jpg

And here's where I started I know what a waste to cut up a 1980 "special" lol
Streettackerbuild005-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8940.jpg
    DSC_8940.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC_8934.jpg
    DSC_8934.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_8924.jpg
    DSC_8924.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC_8919.jpg
    DSC_8919.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC_8881.jpg
    DSC_8881.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC_8879.jpg
    DSC_8879.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC_8945.jpg
    DSC_8945.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_8948.jpg
    DSC_8948.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC_8954.jpg
    DSC_8954.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 413
Dont think it is in the spirit to accecpt for people after you have seconded them, and accepting for 2 people :wtf:

Back