XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Need to check the hardtail on my bike,
Now I know its not straight!! But I also think it
Hasn't got the 4" stretch I asked for...the guy who
built it has now f****d off etc!!

SO,

Need best points on how to measure frame etc!
Thanks
Si.

When I tighten my chain on my home few hard tail, I go from spark split tip to axle center.

In an ideal world you would mount the frame in a jig and take measurements from that.

However as I suspect a jig isn't in many of our toolbox's (yes, it would have to be a 'kin big toolbox) here's a way you can do this at home.

You nee to fix the frame so that it is off the ground (say) at least a bricks height and level.
Use a plumb line to establish the centre line (datum).
Drop the plumb from the headstock and mark where it meets the ground.
Do the same from the rear central loop.
Join the two marks together and extend to the rear of the frame. It is essential that the frame does not move!
You can now drop the plumb from both sides on the rear of the hard-tail and make a mark.
Both sides should be equidistant from the datum.
Also measure from the mark where the central loop plumb met the ground. Again both should be equidistant.

Hi,
Need to check the hardtail on my bike,
Now I know its not straight!! But I also think it
Hasn't got the 4" stretch I asked for...the guy who
built it has now f****d off etc!!
SO,
Need best points on how to measure frame etc!
Thanks
Si.

Hi Si,
as long as the guy effed off before you paid him you kinda break even on the deal.
I mean, if he'd been paid and was still around would you trust good ol' Mr. Warpantorch to fix it under warranty?
Go with Max Midnight's checking procedure to see where you're at.
Check the alleged stretch with a measuring tape.
My stock XS650 measures ~26" from the centre of the clutch adjuster's pop-out cover to the centre of the rear axle.
Or count the chain links. Stock chain has 104 links. If your bike don't need 130 links it ain't been stretched no 4".

All I have is the bare frame , so would kinda
like measurements based on another with stretch or standard
measurements so I can compare

Last edited:
Hi Si,
if all you have is the bare frame, open Skull's sticky about XS650 identification and scroll down the first page to just below all the bike photos.
There you'll see dimensioned drawings of XS650 frames to compare with your hardtail frame.
Add the 18-1/2" (470mm) of the swingarm length to the drawing's headstock to swingarm pivot dimension (685mm for XS-2; 688.7mm for later models) to get the stock wheelbase.

To find the stickies look up near the top of the page, click where it says garage. The first few threads on that list are the stickies.
Leo

Back