Meatball Mechanic; Valve cover stripped stud hole repair.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
"madness" had a stripped valve cover stud hole. Changing heads wasn't a option and I couldn't bring myself to just JB weld the old stud, I did this repair. I did not find any "reducing studs" that would work in a quick web search so here's how to make your own.

I used what I had on hand.
Tools
Taps and dies
these were all in my Craftsman Metric T&D set my wife got me as Christmas present a few years ago.

7mm X1.00 tap
optional; a 7mm bottoming tap or grind the 7mm tap to MAKE a bottoming tap.
6.3mm x 1.00 Die
6mm x 1.00 Die
I have a lathe so used it but an electric drill would work too.
Dremel tool with cut off wheel.
angle grinder.

7mm x 1.00 bolt x 25mm long If I went and got one, I'd probably get a longer bolt. allen head would be fine also.

valve cover stud 002.JPG

Stuff a rag in the head before making chips!

I tapped the head with the 7mm regular tap, The old stripped threads were the right size to start tapping. Use care, check the tap several times that it is starting perpendicular to the head. I used my caliper to check the hole depth, you DO NOT want to "over bottom" the tap and strip out your new threads!
Next up would be a bottoming tap. or you could grind the taper tap off to create a bottoming tap. But as a get it done, I used the dremel cut off to cut three slots in the end of the bolt making an "ad hoc" bottoming tap and used the bolt to finish the threads in the head to the bottom. since we want a tight one time fit I thought this worked fine. The bolt I had was an 8.8 grade, a tough bolt. I welded the end of a nut shut and used two nuts to hold the bolt in the lathe without marring the threads. Better would be to chuck the head of the bolt with one nut threaded down near the head in the lathe. In a bit this would allow you to unthread the dies off the new threads easily. then cut the head off the bolt after the new threads are cut. I used the angle grinder to reduce the rest of the bolt, about the time the threads were disappearing the diameter was right to start threading. Make a slight taper on the end to help the dies start easily. Yes this could/should be done with a cutter in the tool post but this can be done without a lathe too, chucking the bolt in a drill or hand turning it down against a grinding wheel. (a steady slow hand is a plus here) buy two bolts, one for practice!!! My craftsman set had a 6.3mm die so I ran that first then followed it with the 6mm die, that seemed to make threading of the tough bolt go well. Make the threaded section plenty long. I used the dremel and cut a slot in the end and used a screw driver to tighten the stud (with thread locker applied) into the head. Check that the bigger threaded shank isn't sticking out far enough to keep the valve cover from seating. I then cut the new "reducing stud" to length with the dremel cut off and replaced the cover with a super sealing "gggGary's O-ring" :laugh: Done and sealed good as new!

valve cover stud 006.jpg

valve cover stud 001.jpg

valve cover stud 008.JPG

valve cover stud 010.jpg

valve cover stud 011.JPG

Feel free to comment, correct errors, omissions or try it and report how it works for you.

Yeah, helicoil is the traditional save, but I like this method. First, it is a smaller step-up in hole size, meaning it could still be helicoiled later. Second, helicoiling into a blind hole usually means a loss of depth-of-threads, since the helicoil tap can't fully bottom, and the helicoil breakaway tab may remain in the bottom. Third, a helicoiled hole is easier to spot, by the discriminating eye...

The helicoil is way easier& quicker + I've had good success with them when needed.
I have built/made up a similar bolt with spray on metal powder in a lathe for a head/barrel blind stud hole on a SR500 Yamaha and it worked very well for that application. However for a 6x1 thread I don't know if I'd bother....

Top marks for having a go.

Yeah, helicoil is the traditional save, but I like this method. First, it is a smaller step-up in hole size, meaning it could still be helicoiled later. Second, helicoiling into a blind hole usually means a loss of depth-of-threads, since the helicoil tap can't fully bottom, and the helicoil breakaway tab may remain in the bottom. Third, a helicoiled hole is easier to spot, by the discriminating eye...

Agree with this statement, and like your save. Heli-coil installation "in-place" can be dicey from all the issues above, and getting in straight with the drill as well. If you can get the part in a mill, or even a vice, fine, but I like the fix.

Great resource for metric hardware info and purchase for future reference.

http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch10/10-1018.pdf

http://www.metricmcc.com/techinfo/overview.aspx?item=2

Lots of ingenuity up there in cheese land. So here's a dumb FIB question: If you would have left the bolt threads full size, is there enough meat in the tappet cover to drill out the hole to fit the bigger threads?

Great job fixing it! BTW, there are 'step up' metric and SAE studs available out there. For instance Dorman Products has them in 10x8 mm and there are other sizes available, Porsche and VW loved using them for some Teutonic reason. They are not easy to find, though. With this setup, it might be possible to run a 6x1.0 die down the threads to make your own DE stud. That saves having to drill out the valve cover and the stock acorn nut can be used too.

EDIT: Duh. That's exactly what you did... [Homer] 'D'oh!' [/Homer] :laugh:

Absolutely fascinating, hotdog. That and the other related videos bring home the point that I and my caveman tools are way behind machining technology. I can think of a hundred projects over these many years that would've worked out better using this plasma spray process...

I had to do this and remembered Gary had done it before and he asked me to detail my experience. I used a different procedure than he but it worked fine.

Cut the head off 7mm hex bolt from hardware store using Dremel tool (mine was 8.8 too).

Put uncut end in electric drill, with as much 7mm as you need to save inside the chuck
Spin bolt in drill and use file to grind threads away -- this will do absolutely nothing, and from this point on I wasn't worried about the threads in the drill chuck.

With the bolt spinning in drill, use a Dremel to grind to around .230" diameter. Grind cone on end to start the die.

Double nut the 7 mm part. I found this is good enough, but only if you have a vice-grip holding both nuts at the same time, for some reason.

Start the die, and begin applying wd-40 and lots of leverage.

20170729_153402.jpg

20170729_153520.jpg

20170729_153428.jpg

20170729_172317.jpg

20170729_175945.jpg

I was pleased with my Harbor Freight real junior machinist tap and die set. Nothing broke and everything went just fine. All that's left is cut about 1/8" off the small end with the Dremel and grind one or two threads away from the big end on grinding wheel.

I finally got around to doing the head half of this project this weekend. I didn't take pictures but I have some things that might be useful. My tap had a nose on it such that it would not have gone in far enough to give me any threads. I noted how far the tap sat in the hole and cut the nose off just before there, which let me get a couple three threads before it bottomed out. I turned the tap back and forth until it felt real free, then I cut the entire end off the tap to make a literal bottoming tap, and beveled it slightly with a file. You can use masking tape on the tap to mark how far the tap should go and use the original stud as a guide. The cutting on the tap was done with a Dremel with reinforced cut-off wheel. Have the bike on the center stand and remove the tank, so everything is squared up, and you have a direct view from above and the side, to keep things square. The tap will not self-guide in the hole, at least not in aluminum, and there isn't much room for slop -- all three studs need to fit in the holes in the cover when you're finished. The holes are just clearance-size holes. Voilà! (Wallah! in French).

Having said all this, I DO NOT think this is a good project. There are better ways to do it. When I had the head off and apart last fall I should have had a machine shop helicoil all three holes for the original studs. All three would have been stronger than factory then. When I bought the bike this stud was stripped (same stud as Gary's) and the other two always feel a bit iffy. All the other covers are good. Front right covers are cursed for some reason.

"madness" had a stripped valve cover stud hole. Changing heads wasn't a option and I couldn't bring myself to just JB weld the old stud, I did this repair. I did not find any "reducing studs" that would work in a quick web search so here's how to make your own.

I used what I had on hand.
Tools
Taps and dies
these were all in my Craftsman Metric T&D set my wife got me as Christmas present a few years ago.

7mm X1.00 tap
optional; a 7mm bottoming tap or grind the 7mm tap to MAKE a bottoming tap.
6.3mm x 1.00 Die
6mm x 1.00 Die
I have a lathe so used it but an electric drill would work too.
Dremel tool with cut off wheel.
angle grinder.

7mm x 1.00 bolt x 25mm long If I went and got one, I'd probably get a longer bolt. allen head would be fine also.

View attachment 31776

Stuff a rag in the head before making chips!

I tapped the head with the 7mm regular tap, The old stripped threads were the right size to start tapping. Use care, check the tap several times that it is starting perpendicular to the head. I used my caliper to check the hole depth, you DO NOT want to "over bottom" the tap and strip out your new threads!
Next up would be a bottoming tap. or you could grind the taper tap off to create a bottoming tap. But as a get it done, I used the dremel cut off to cut three slots in the end of the bolt making an "ad hoc" bottoming tap and used the bolt to finish the threads in the head to the bottom. since we want a tight one time fit I thought this worked fine. The bolt I had was an 8.8 grade, a tough bolt. I welded the end of a nut shut and used two nuts to hold the bolt in the lathe without marring the threads. Better would be to chuck the head of the bolt with one nut threaded down near the head in the lathe. In a bit this would allow you to unthread the dies off the new threads easily. then cut the head off the bolt after the new threads are cut. I used the angle grinder to reduce the rest of the bolt, about the time the threads were disappearing the diameter was right to start threading. Make a slight taper on the end to help the dies start easily. Yes this could/should be done with a cutter in the tool post but this can be done without a lathe too, chucking the bolt in a drill or hand turning it down against a grinding wheel. (a steady slow hand is a plus here) buy two bolts, one for practice!!! My craftsman set had a 6.3mm die so I ran that first then followed it with the 6mm die, that seemed to make threading of the tough bolt go well. Make the threaded section plenty long. I used the dremel and cut a slot in the end and used a screw driver to tighten the stud (with thread locker applied) into the head. Check that the bigger threaded shank isn't sticking out far enough to keep the valve cover from seating. I then cut the new "reducing stud" to length with the dremel cut off and replaced the cover with a super sealing "gggGary's O-ring" :laugh: Done and sealed good as new!

View attachment 31777

View attachment 31778

View attachment 31779

View attachment 31780

View attachment 31781

Feel free to comment, correct errors, omissions or try it and report how it works for you.
gggGary a very classy repair well done

Indeed - I just noticed this thread and read it with interest! Nice work Gary and cool spray work Hotdog.

I guess I missed Gary's original post because in late June I was heavily into the "madness" of Daughter #2s impending wedding.

June 2013 Pete :cool: XJWMX Yes this stud is the most likely one to strip out, not much depth there. Kinda kept track and it's the one that guys report having problems with. Maybe why Yamaha didn't change the casting back after the decompression lever disappeared on the other side.

Back