media blasting on douglas motor

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
besides the 1947 douglas T35 projects im getting the parts together to restore the douglas ww2 generator made between 1941 and 1945 only (same motor) , what media material would be recomended to clean up the parts , aqua blasting will be out of my price bracket and do have a cabinet to do my own blasting , the carb and goverener will soda blast and put in a small sonic cleaner but the rest not sure how aggressive i should go , have a few bags of corse garnet .. this is a lot different than cleaning up the xs650 with a lot fewer parts around if i stuff up

Only you will be able to judge how agressive you need to be to clean the parts up. I have a home made vapor blaster and think its great but my mate uses glass beads and he prefers that finish. You will need to experiment.

Glass beads come in different grades ( only found this out recently) and you can try a mix of glass and soda. Its not a binary sort of process have a play and tell us how it works out.
I am assuming you want a low cost alternative so stainless steel shot is probably not a runner.
For the frame you could try paving sand , the stuff you buy in bags to put in the cracks between paving stones. It looks to me to be between beach sand and garnet. Beach sand is ok but you need to wash the salt out and dry it.

Do a search on tumblers to clean rusted metal parts it looks to be the go for nuts and bolts.

Only you will be able to judge how agressive you need to be to clean the parts up. I have a home made vapor blaster and think its great but my mate uses glass beads and he prefers that finish. You will need to experiment.

Glass beads come in different grades ( only found this out recently) and you can try a mix of glass and soda. Its not a binary sort of process have a play and tell us how it works out.
I am assuming you want a low cost alternative so stainless steel shot is probably not a runner.
For the frame you could try paving sand , the stuff you buy in bags to put in the cracks between paving stones. It looks to me to be between beach sand and garnet. Beach sand is ok but you need to wash the salt out and dry it.

Do a search on tumblers to clean rusted metal parts it looks to be the go for nuts and bolts.
have you a link to your home made vapour blaster / tried looking here but not much coming up .. low cost is the word as unlike the bikes the gennie will never be worth much except as a oddity / display .. , always try not to overspend / doesnt work often though , as for rough , the local river sand would do.. thing is never done any blasting except for the garnet and river sand (except a trail run of soda and sonic cleaning

thanks, had a good look ,have a old cabnet in the shed could use , will have to have a bit of a think as getting hold of some of those bits might be fun here in the boom docks , would definitly come in handy

Here's some glass bead trivia.

Attachments

• GlassBeadChart.jpg
    GlassBeadChart.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 81
  • GlassBeadGrit.jpg
    GlassBeadGrit.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 69
  • MeshCount.jpg
    MeshCount.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 80
Back