Metal in Oil Filter

B Burdine97

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, after just 100 miles of riding after an oil change and filters change i was curious what my secondary oil filter looked like because the first oil change I did when I got the bike had metal on the magnets in the sump oil filter, and a bit of metal on the secondary oil filter. I pulled the secondary oil filter and found metal in that after just 100 miles of riding! (See pic below) Yes i know my sump filter (Mikesxs "Rienforced" sump filter) is probably blow out causing the metal to show up in the secondary oil filter, but my question is what is wearing so quickly that just after 100 miles of riding I'm seeing this much metal? Is it from my starter gears, or cam chain tensioner has worn down to bare metal? Or just something completely different that Im not thinking of. The metal is magnetic.
Thanks!

Attachments

• oil filter.jpeg
    oil filter.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 423
If you have the common grinding starter problem then it could be from that. It may also be long term build-up that never did get cleaned out because the P.O. didn't change the oil and clean the filters enough. It took 6 to 8K miles and multiple oil changes and filter cleanings before mine started to come out relatively clean.

Ouch! That's a LOT of magnetic metal that came through the sump and pump! I'm afraid you are going to want to look inside your oil pump also. Really at a loss to answer what it might be. My best guess is something has come adrift and is getting ground up by a rotating part. Might want to peek in the tappet covers, see if there is something amiss in the head.

I know it looks dry mrriggs i pulled it after the bike sat for a couple days and that was the top half you see in the pic, the bottom half was wet in oil.
When i first got the bike the sump filter did have a build up of metal on the magnets, so possibly is still flushing out left over metal? I just think if it was flushing out metal it wouldnt be THAT much, that seems like alot to me. But the sump filter I changed did have a large hole in it, and who knows the last time it was changed so that metal accumulation could be from thousands of miles I guess. I'm kind of thinking the same thing you are Gary, as far as its from something rotating and scraping, thats why my thought went to the cam chain adjuster wore down to bare metal and the chain is riding on bare metal causing excess metal shavings, BUT is the metal behind the plastic on the cam chain adjuster magnetic?.. That I do not know.
I think the biggest question I have is, the bike is an 81 with 25,000 miles on it, 140 compression both cylinders, starts on first kick every time, that much metal in the filters, am I safe to keep riding?

Also, as far as pulling the sump goes, Im heading up north this weekend to the cabin so I wont be able to pull it this weekend but Ill hopefully get around to it possibly late monday night.

Yes, the front guide has an aluminum base. You usually don't get chunks or chips from it, more like ground up aluminum "powder". When you drain your oil, it may look like a cheap '70s metal flake paint job, lol. It will be full of "sparkles".

Okay so the cam chain adjuster is out of the question. And thank you for the info 5twins I will look for that on this upcoming oil change. I understand tracing the source of metal shavings in an engine can be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Just was curious if you guys had any input, and you did so thank you! I am just worried of something bad happening to the engine while riding causing me to get myself in danger. But, I think I will continue to ride her until any more signs of engine failure occur.

Back