Metric thread?

spinda123

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 xs650f, can anybody tell me what metric thread is tapped in on the clutch handle assembly and the front master brake assembly? I took the plugs out and would like to screw some mirrors in the threaded holes.:confused:

I'm pretty sure they're an M10, but be aware that the right side, the throttle side is a reverse thread. They do that on some bikes so the wind blowing against the mirror won't blow it loose. When shopping for mirrors, they should note that reverse thread on the one side in their description.

Yes, it may be a fine thread but most metric mirrors use the same threads, As mentioned Some Yamaha's had a left hand thread on the one side.
Leo.

I would vote for M10x1.25 (10 mm diameter 1.25 mm pitch) this is the most common 10 mm thread used on Japanese bikes and cars

Regular coarse thread is M10x1.50, and on European stuff, like Brembo calipers/banjo bolts it is M10x1.0

Sort of like UNC, UNF and UNFF for you Imperial guys!

I actually haven't checked on my XS, but at least on my RD, I believe the LH mirror had LH thread, so the wind pressure will not be able to loosen the mirror. Best to check that before attempting to fit a mirror or chase the threads with a tap.

Back