Michelin Pilot Activ sizing?

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Lets say one has read up on the OM, Tech section info, and Michelin's site, but as a novice still may be looking for a little expert assurance... Would the following Micheling Pilot Activ combo pair up correctly on a stock pair of tube type Takasago rims?

F: Rim, 19x1.85 > Tire, 110/90 19" TL/TT

R: Rim, 18x2.15 > Tire, 4.00 x 18" TL/TT

Thanks in advance to all with any advice.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-activ#dim

This is what I have on my 79 restomod

Michelin Pilot Activ Front Tire 100/90V-19
Michelin Pilot Activ Rear Tire 4.00H-18

I ran these last summer on 2.15 and 2.5 rims, it felt pretty good and I was quite happy with how the profiles look and how narrow the chicken strips are.

IMHO a 110 is way wide for the 1.85 front rim, heck the 100 is too wide!

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44471

Motorcycle-Rim-WidthTire-Size-Chart-by-MTSAC.edu-2.jpg

See?

I just laced up a pair of 2.50x18 with 110/80 Pilot 3's (both are front) spooned on them. I ordered an 3x18 from Italy yesterday. will probably put a 120/70 on it, if I get it laced to a hub.

s-l1600.jpg

eBay item number:252275596547

My feeling is with 3x18 rims and matching tires I will have gone beyond the frame/suspension's ability to handle the stresses they are capable of generating and will have to start working on the chassis for further improvements. Then again I am old, my reaction times suck, and my bones are getting brittle.....

Last edited:
I am still trying to educate myself on tires. It appears your best bet is to fit the LOWEST speed rated tire that you can find to fit your rim.
What I think I am learning...
A: our bikes aren't fast enough to challenge even the lowest rated tires in our size range.
B: the higher rated the tire the heavier it needs to be built. lighter thinner tires improve suspension action and improve road contact.

Gary, thanks as usual. Your tire chart was helful even prior to my thread, now again! At then end of the day, I prefer to go one tick more wide with the rim... Say 2.15 for the front, and 2.5 for the rear. Do I understand the chart correctly that the wider rim is a better fit for the same tire sizes I initially mentioned?

See above, I've changed that post about 8 times (typical for me) I'll go shoot the tires and rims on the resto mod. IIRC they have about 2K miles on them.

See above, I've changed that post about 8 times (typical for me) I'll go shoot the tires and rims on the resto mod. IIRC they have about 2K miles on them.

Thank you sir! I've got some more thinking to do! The 3x18 rim looks real nice. Curious what the shipping came to and if you get it laced up easy enough!

I am still trying to educate myself on tires. It appears your best bet is to fit the LOWEST speed rated tire that you can find to fit your rim.
What I think I am learning...
A: our bikes aren't fast enough to challenge even the lowest rated tires in our size range.
B: the higher rated the tire the heavier it needs to be built. lighter thinner tires improve suspension action and improve road contact.

hi Gary,
I think you are confusing the speed rating and the load rating.
For instance, a V-rated tire will be made lighter than an H-rated tire to better withstand the increased stresses from extreme high speed use.
OTOH a 600lb load rated tire will be made heavier than a 400lb load rated tire to better withstand the weight of my fat arse.

Back