midset/mid controls

CantGetRight

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just throwing out another feeler, what would be some issues or challenges one would face with mounting them on? I'm thinking primary issue would be with the kickstart, but I'm sure there are others

Since you mention the kickstarter, I assume you mean "mild rearsets", with pegs further back than stock. I have been working on this myself (slowly....) There will be clearance issues with the kickstarter, requiring a folding RH footpeg or a modified kickstarter. Depending on your brake pedal design, the stock kickstarter may also hit the brake pedal.
On a drum brake bike, you will most likely also run into issues if trying to use a linkage between brake pedal and the stock brake shaft (pivot) I once saw a homemade setup where the owner had welded a new pivot bushing further back, eliminating the need for any extra brake linkage. With a rear disc brake, you could use a modern, compact master cylinder activated directly by the brake pedal, also eliminating the need for any linkage.
On the LH side, there should be no problem using a linkage for the gear pedal. Good luck!

I bought Motobits rear sets for my bike, specifically designed for XS650 use, and what do you know... I should of done some research beforehand :p

i thought I saw a pair being sold that would put the kick started between the brake lever and the foot peg, and the peg could be folded up to allow clearance for the Kickstarter? That ring any bells to anyone?

I bought Motobits rear sets for my bike, specifically designed for XS650 use, and what do you know... I should of done some research beforehand :p

Hi MOSFET,
the set-up in that photo will be perfect for a push-start race bike or for a bike that's guaranteed to E-start.
As depicted with a kickstart in place, the footpeg and brake toe-plate just need to be modified so as to hinge upward during the kickstart.

Yup, my starer is sitting on the shelf with all of it's associated gears and shafts, so E-start is not an option. Right now I'm running my original foot pegs and controls, but one day I might want to modify something to make the rear sets fit. How do you exactly install a hinge there to make it fold up?

You would need to make something like this: http://www.lsl.eu/php/index.php#produktgruppeliste.php?pgkuerzel=Rastenkoerper
LSL has a modular system, the knurled footpeg mounts to the RH side of the hinge shown on the link with a M5 or M6 screw. The brake or gear pedal rotates on the LH portion, which is mounted with a bolt through the footpeg bracket. (The LH end has M8 or M10 internal thread, not showing in the pic)
Unless you have access to a lathe and a milling machine, or has a friend who has, it may be best to order the bits you need from LSL, and just reuse your brackets/ plates

Or get the complete kit from LSL (It IS very expensive though, but also nicely made and very lightweight)
http://www.lsl.eu/php/index.php#art...rstellerModell[1]=573&herstellerModell[2]=761

On the pics in the last link, it looks like the "nub" on the brake pedal is fairly short, so will most likely clear a stock XS kickstarter.

Last edited:
I made my own mid-mounts from the stock peg "shafts". I cut off the front and welded a tab to hold a Harley "clevis" peg mount. Also put rubber cones between the peg mount tab and the bike frame to support the peg and prevent it from bending down too much.

The Harley peg folds up and clears the kicker.

Never mind the shifter and brake pedal. They are "work in progress" in the photos.

Pekka

y3meh_8JJbJb7enYjF2oosn0SMFfuE1K-kVufL6lYc6rxMoT151yy0-sTf2Uf1qDNsJ6_0eUoQ1CcjJXe-ChLRJIMNjzDY5aQ0z--_V__ZDQVviKG2Y8_A66S-jWZrPjT3rVeRIrD42kfTyjU1z44f0SaW_Ivq1sPkxx7u7Q_vDB0E

y3m7Mntw-qwmnOjqsPYlmcrc1JV8f4ovnkV-NbpQoIdoIb-kiRXRrRn47614LgDipQ5Pb41KXVV-IyWqHxu4AYCbCoKE7_835dU2Q6-O7DYu1k6gDjSl8oSNz_Jc4Cvhvh37uMRXqM_kuAst9MQiFppvIvbP-Gvttg1zeo0j17xWkk

y3mTjay7xlOSqUkEODHK6U6ADBMkX05nRbT3mtfVL-JD9y5erdaK61TMzqR4LCFzqoRorVcSmEzWqcD4DMPG2_9Vsa_hKyMBlhtRwH-JcMDbY1XPpWMKPeYXkB3csvT5RiltMkV5I9HcjcKB2ENCFzEVpQ6m54XbHghMS7ag0HVaJk

Back