Miesha: Build thread.

Pete, your build is looking great! I especially like your handlebar/gauge set up. Can't wait to see your final product!

Wiring is done!
At least until I change my mind about something...
Got her flipped around and down off the jack. I LOVE the way the LED's worked out as dashboard lights recessed into the headlight
My wife will be back tomorrow so I should be able to get Miesha fired up and hopefully determine where the hell oil pours from when she is running. Either i messed up replacing the clutch pushrod seal or it's something new but the seal looked dry after pulling the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_8266.JPG
    IMG_8266.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 252
Did you check the front sprocket nut? If that comes loose, it leaks like crazy, and they commonly do loosen up, even with that tab lock washer on there.

When you get around to tuning your carbs, those pleated type pods may cause some problems. Pleated style pods just don't work well on CV carbs, neither do tapered ones. Straight UNI foam pods work best.

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

Front sprocket nut was loose when I bought the bike. I torqued it down to 85lbs when I replaced the clutch pushrod seal. It's possible that it is still the culprit though.

When I did the clutch pushrod seal I checked the edge and it didn't seem "too too sharp" but I think I might have still managed to shear off a small bit of the seal when I drove it in.

Last option I guess is the starter gear cover gasket. I have a gasket coming just in case, we'll see.

I learned about the foam pods after I had already set the bike up like this. I'm still in the infancy of learning to tune carbs so lots more to come there. Last carb I messed with prior to this bike was on a 50cc'er.

Well ...I think I officially screwed up when putting the clutch pushrod seal in. Fired her up without the left side cover last night and as soon as she's running that's where the oil is coming from. I'm guessing I got a little overzealous and the fact that I drove it in w/ a rubber mallet and didn't chamfer the edge sliced off just enough to ruin the seal.

That's what you get for being super excited and putting parts in too quick.

Luckily I had pre-emptively ordered another one, a starter gear cover gasket and a front sprocket seal in anticipation of this. Should be here tomorrow.

I did the same thing with mine when I installed it. It didn't cut much of the seal off, but I didn't even bother seeing if it would be okay. Just chamfered the snot out of the case and installed the spare. I'm thinking that's pretty common :)

Clutch pushrod seal fixed finally.

Decided to do a proper oil service while I was at it. Sump strainer was all jacked up. To the point where I don't think I can fix it, so I ordered another one.

Now about the sump cover and oil filter cover... one of the POs liked sticky gasket stuff. It was on both as well as both drain plugs One on top of the crush washer and one instead of it altogether....

Anyway... what's a good way to dissolve old gaskets?

Attachments

• IMG_8613.JPG
    IMG_8613.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Several applications of paint stripper will do the trick. Apply, let soak 10 or 15 minutes, scrape off what has softened, re-apply, etc. It will take a few applications but eventually all the old gasket and/or sealer will "melt" away, and all with no damage done to the sealing surfaces by over aggressive scraping.

Clutch pushrod seal fixed finally.

Decided to do a proper oil service while I was at it. Dump strainer was all jacked up. To the point where I don't think I can fix it, so I ordered another one.

Now about the sump cover and oil filter cover... one of the POs liked sticky gasket stuff. It was on both as well as both drain plugs One on top of the crush washer and one instead of it altogether....

Anyway... what's a good way to dissolve old gaskets?

Ooooohhhh - yuk!

....how about....napalm?

It looks like you've already spent a considerable amount of time carefully scraping. I read about the paint stripper trick many years ago in a bike mag. I've been using it ever since. It's also great for carbon removal. Here's a points/advance housing. This is one of the most stuck on gaskets you'll encounter on this bike besides an original sump gasket. Yamaha installed both with sealer. First application of stripper .....

Stripper1stAppl2.jpg

..... softened part of gasket scraped off. The first application gets you maybe half way through .....

1stApplScraped3.jpg

Second application frees up most of the rest of the gasket. A little more stripper applied to the remaining bits will finish the job .....

2ndApplScraped3.jpg

Well hooray for paint stripper! I stopped home mid-day to check on my experiment from this morning. I didn't have high hopes as the stuff i had laying around was the "organic, non-toxic stuff" but hey, what the hell. Well ... it dissolved the gasket phenomenally, so I applied it to the whole sump plate and oil filter cover. I'll get back at it tonight hopefully.

One more tip - soak those new gaskets in motor oil before installing, maybe for 10 minutes or so. They'll cling to the part and that will ease the install, but more important, that part will come off again easily without sticking or damaging the gasket. Sump gaskets are usually good for near a half dozen re-uses before they're so squished that you need to replace them. The side filter gasket pretty much never needs replacing once you've done it like this. Do keep spares on the shelf. You never know when one might just tear or break during the change. Shit happens, and usually on a Sunday when the shops are closed, lol.

Soak it in oil - that's a great idea littlebill. I'd never thought of that.

What a heck of a good resource this forum is.

P

Back