MIG vs TIG welding

Mig is sufficient, tig is prettier. Doesn't matter what process is done if the person doing the welder is competent. There are instances where mig just won't do as well as tig, but this isn't one of them. IMHO

Check this out. Pretty informative.

943gs.png

The answer is control. Most new welding machines are pretty advanced technology wise. A MIG welder is a push button wire feed that creates an arc. Once the arc is created it is difficult to adjust the heat while you are using it. With a TIG welder you create the arc yourself with a foot controlled rheostat and add the wire with the other hand. You have more control with a TIG welder and it often times does look prettier. It is also much easier to weld stainless and TIG welding makes it possible to weld aluminum.

^ You can also successively MIG weld aluminum, you just need the proper gun, and shielding gas (spool gun, argon). Now it probably will not be as pretty as a TIG but it will do the job. I would have to agree that TIG welds done by the right person are prettier, but I have been laying sown some damn fine MIG beads lately the would rival TIG in the looks department.....

I know, pics or it never happened. It's never gonna be as pretty as a TIG, but feel free to cuss and discuss. It seems with welding there is always a "know-it-all" that has been a "professional certified welder for 30+ years" blah blah blah. And these threads seem to open a can of worms....

This is a gusset on a Dave Bird hardtail I am doing for a guy. MIG welded, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

397471423.jpg

Last edited:
Patches... looks an awful lot like you are doing a series of spot welds there.

You're the second or third person to say that. I'm guessing its because of the last weld at the end that is actually a spot weld. I accidentally stopped early and had to fill in the last little bit with a spot weld.

^^ doesn't even look close to tig.

Posted via Mobile

No shit, that's because it was done with a MIG, and for a MIG it looks pretty damn good to me. Do better and get back to me.....

I've seen some pretty shitty TIG welds that made me say give me my MIG any day of the week. As we all know it comes down to welder settings and the operator. A good TIG will look better any day of the week compared to a great MIG, but sometimes you have to make the best with what you have and right now a miller syncrowave is probably out of the question for most......

TIG is guaranteed control, whereas you can pile up MIG and it never penetrate... With TIG, the filler won't drop in unless there is sufficient heat and penetration...

You can tig weld nearly any type of metal with set up and cost which you can not say about mig, sure you can weld aluminum and stainless but try welding an engine case that needs to be super clean to not leak not gonna happen with a mig

No shit, that's because it was done with a MIG, and for a MIG it looks pretty damn good to me. Do better and get back to me.....

I've seen some pretty shitty TIG welds that made me say give me my MIG any day of the week. As we all know it comes down to welder settings and the operator. A good TIG will look better any day of the week compared to a great MIG, but sometimes you have to make the best with what you have and right now a miller syncrowave is probably out of the question for most......

X2

Seeing as they allow the use of MIG welding on aircrafts I'm more then sure it's fine on a motorcycle. As with anything else, proper prep work on the piece that's going to be welded is more important then what type of welding is gonna be done on it

I really don't think one is "better" then the other... It really depends on the situation. As far as how it looks, yes with the tig machine you lay some nice beads but the doe not amount to nothing if it does not penetrate. When I was learning to tig aluminum I was welding skegs on outboard motors i could get I nice looking weld but then my instructor would have me brake it off or cut it in half and I was not getting very good penetration...

This debate seem more back and forth then I thought it would be. Its all pretty simple when it comes down to it.

First off, appearance has nothing to do with weld strength. You can have the sexiest roll of dimes then cut it in half and see no penetration. OR have a the legs be too long maximizing heat stress and creating a new weak point. I am with bradshaw on this. Looks have nothing to do with strong welding.

It comes down to application. What do you want to do? What metals are you working with? Thats what will decide which is better. Would I buy a frame thats MIG welded? No. But I use TIG so that just me being elitist. I believe that the guy who did it had a better shot at good penetration with TIG. But what it comes down to who welded it. Do you trust him/her? Are they experienced? Are they any good? Its just like any other skill. MIG, TIG, stick, torch or daisy-chained car batteries, if the guy welds like a fucking champion then your as safe as you can be.

Buy the frame if you want it. Just look over the joints as part of your inspection routine.

Also,

Patches, 400 bucks will get you a TIG, stick, plasma combo nowadays. If you don't mind Chinese welders. They are price pretty competitively against MIG. You'll only get 60% duty cycle at 200 amps but....that aint bad. Single phase 110v. Perfect for the garage builder on a budget.

If you want we can paint it blue and slap on some miller stickers.

I weld with a MIG for fun and a TIG when I am paid to use it... If it weren't for MIG, then I would have never started welding and sharing what I know (learning from!) the younger generation. I'm with Patches -- MIG is the new TIG. \

tumblr_lnjijcKxLA1qj6hhgo1_500.jpg

132zed said it right, mig or tig it depends on the skill of the welder. Hell back in the 40s before either, arc held a lot of bikes together and the roads were a hell of a lot rougher then they are now!

Its simple . . TIG has many more control features that will let the expert get better penetration, less warpage, cleaner welds and if needed, prettier welds. A MIG can do the same in most cases, but because of less control, it isn't used in teh strictest of welding situations. For MOST Automotive or Motorcycle repair or fabrication, either can be used.

Back