1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike`s XS & Dime City Cycles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by halfmile, May 17, 2019.

1. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

kansas
    Parts came today that I ordered earlier in the week from Mike`s XS, but the receipt was from Dime City Cycles. Am I missing something here???

2. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

yea they own them
    ,,,index.png ,,, index.png

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Paul Sutton and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Apparently they’re all one big happy family.
    644288D2-5C6E-4BB7-AA86-777379617A64.jpeg

Paul Sutton likes this.
  4. X77S

X77S Unmotivated..... HELP!

If their knock off Pamco ignitions are the reason for Pamco Pete's demise I'm prepared to not spend any money with any of those companies...

delagem and peanut like this.
  5. 650Skull

Everything is speculation...........Pamcpete hasn't said what has happened on here, so who knows what deal Pete and Mikes had for the years they worked together.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  6. peanut

peanut XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I for one am curious about that . Worse case I suppose... is Mikesxs commissioned a Company in China to reverse engineer Petes stuff and then and manufacture and sell it as their own alongside Petes units. Only problem is the copyist forgot to remove Petes copyright info before printing the pcb boards

JAX71224, Paul Sutton and delagem like this.
  7. 650Skull

Fact or assumption?

Funny thing is when MikesXS was getting their Oil Filter/Cooler reversed engineered by a well known XS650 supplier, (who claimed he took 2 years developing the product), no one was jumping up and down about that.........When it got copied again by others and was sold for less than 2/3rds of the price, both MikesXS and the other 650 supplier also dropped their price by a third.........

Paul Sutton likes this.
  8. peanut

neither :rolleyes:

do you actually read anything ?

It was a supposition ....quote .'Worse case I suppose..'

looking for another argument skull ? well I'm in the fookin mood for one .....:poke:

Paul Sutton, delagem and gggGary like this.
  9. 650Skull

Funny-cat-meme.jpg
    :D

10. peanut

very good skull...... you made a joke ;)

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  11. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

I would call it a fact. For evidence I refer you to posts #58, 59 & 60. http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-ignition.46859/page-3#post-573765

12. X77S

X77S Unmotivated..... HELP!

Looks to me the PAMCO was knocked off. The foreign knock off company didn't have the exact parts Pete used but had cheap "alternatives" and used them instead. This is most likely the issue with their units.

The biggest problem to me is not that they knocked it off, but that they still include the PAMCO right on the board. This gives the real Pamco the bad rep for something he didn't produce. I've bought cheap knock off products in the past, but always went in knowing what to expect because it wasn't branded as the original.

However, reading through that post it's clear to me what happened. I've bought a few things through MikesXS but I think they are the last. I've liked through DCC website recently and thought about purchasing from them, but I am no longer going to consider them with my future purchases. I hope everyone else will consider this as well.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  13. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Ditto.
    The circuit itself is quite simple.
    It's the components that are critical, particularly the magnets, sensor, IGBT, and timing microprocessor. The spec'd triggering ranges of the sensors are wide, and quality control of the remaining parts is at the whim of the supplier, or floor sweeper...

14. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Any good stories about Mike's ignitions yet? I was probably just a few months from buying a Pamco. I am still holding on to my birthday money in my wallet. That was planned for a Pamco and sprockets and chain. Looks like I'll be taking a chance on a Mike's ignition, I have no other choice now.

Scott

Paul Sutton and Superjet like this.
  15. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Only Boyer Brandson still has my interest.

16. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Plus 1 ;)

Paul Sutton and peanut like this.
  17. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Boyer price? I'll buy points first. But if there are two or more good words about the Mike's ignition for less than $80, I'll take a chance.

Scott

FLEA likes this.
  18. shotgunjoe

shotgunjoe XS650 Hunter

I ordered a Pamco-E, a week before he announced his retirement. I got a refund instead. The only info I can find on the Mike's units, is they're garbage. Now I'm piecing together a home brew setup using off the shelf parts.

I'm not going anywhere near that Mike's stuff...I really hope my cobbled together ignition works, otherwise I'm stuck going Boyer, and I don't want to.

19. 650Skull

It does open up the market for those do it yourself jobs or for someone else to make some beer money.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  20. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

kansas
    I have a Morris Mag, 2 Boyer`s and a Hugh`s CDI. The first 3 are for the most part Fool Proof.:thumbsup: CDI is not quite ready to fire yet. I liked the idea of a crank triggered ign and it was really easy to wire up.:shrug: We`ll see.

peanut likes this.