Mikes alternator brushes product warning

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
These have probably been in the parts box for awhile as I stopped buying from Mikes 2+ years ago.
Yes the screw is all the way in. The bracket is next to the isolator block with the wiring tab on top.
Another example of their fine products.
IMG_20161022_223404_038[1].jpg

IMG_20161022_223112_391[1].jpg

Good call there, WER. My new (3 years ago) brush set is also sitting in a box, ready for whenever. This comparison pic from 2 years ago (in the rotor runout thread) seems to show the MikesXS brush bracket leg length to be a tad longer than the OEM. I never thought to check that.

xs-brush-length-jpg.46098

I'll have to dig those out and double-check...

Speaking of Mike's XS, has it changed hands again? They donated generously to XS Southeast this year and a lot of the packaging was marked "Z1 Enterprises". I lost track after Mike Lalonde sold it and I know that since then some bad parts have gone out the door. I'm very curious now.

looks like all they did was pretty up the site with fancy cool lettering, and more black. Still expensive shipping, same crap shoot parts.

It is also worth having a look at the soldering on these.

One of the pair I have separated at the bracket end when I went to install.

I re-soldered and everything seem to be working well now.

Last edited:
I heard Mikes bought out Z1 Enterprises. I heard they're buying up lots of little aftermarket parts suppliers. Doubt any of the products will improve. Now their shit practices may spread to all these new acquisitions. From what I've seen, they really don't seem to care much about bikes or a quality product., they're only in it for the money.

Will those work hanging out like that? If so I wonder how long? It seems everything out of Mikes now is just a little Longer, Shorter, or Wider than it should be.
How do you fix that?

I heard Mikes bought out Z1 Enterprises. I heard they're buying up lots of little aftermarket parts suppliers. Doubt any of the products will improve. Now their shit practices may spread to all these new acquisitions. From what I've seen, they really don't seem to care much about bikes or a quality product., they're only in it for the money.

Interesting. Z1 was always noteworthy for it's good parts and customer service. It will be sad if any of that changes.

Will those work hanging out like that? If so I wonder how long? It seems everything out of Mikes now is just a little Longer, Shorter, or Wider than it should be.
How do you fix that?
I've been involved with the XS650 for about 10 years now. Mikesxs (aka XSdirect in Canada) has always sold sub-standard, poor quality parts for those 10 years. The Chinese/Taiwan parts they sell are no where near the quality of OEM parts from Japan. I just don't buy parts from them anymore.

I've been involved with the XS650 for about 10 years now. Mikesxs (aka XSdirect in Canada) has always sold sub-standard, poor quality parts for those 10 years. The Chinese/Taiwan parts they sell are no where near the quality of OEM parts from Japan. I just don't buy parts from them anymore.

Much of that has to do with what we're willing to pay for. My experience is that isn't much.

@retiredgentleman
In my very limited experience compared to all the rest of you I totally agree. But unless we can get OEM from a Yamaha dealer/ distributor our choices in Canada are extremely limited. Some companies south
of the border just won't ship to Canada. Man, where do we go?

+1, Marty. Mike Lalonde sold mostly good quality Japanese made parts at good prices in the early years. Trash started coming into the picture when he discovered that folks would buy trash if it was cheap, and more trash came when the crowd started snatching up XS650's and the unenlightened got the idea that Mike's was the only vendor. Good stuff is still available if you're willing to pay what it's worth. Good current production brushes are available from Rick's Motor Sports Electronics, and if you want to pay twice what Rick's charges (a bit north of $14/pr.), there are plenty of NOS Yamaha brushes on ebay. One more time: You can't get something for nothing, but it's easy to get nothing for something if you're cheap enough.

Rob, I don't know what to tell you except to keep your eyes open.

@retiredgentleman
In my very limited experience compared to all the rest of you I totally agree. But unless we can get OEM from a Yamaha dealer/ distributor our choices in Canada are extremely limited. Some companies south
of the border just won't ship to Canada. Man, where do we go?

Yes, if you are new to this hobby, you'll have to learn to shop around for better parts. Here are some examples:
I needed some replacement cam shaft oil seals a few years ago. I bought a pair from XS650Direct here in Canada and paid $33.75 CAD including shipping. These are the so called "XS Performance" Special triple lip oil seals, part # 01-9020, made in Japan.
Expensive, but us canadians are used to paying high prices. They only lasted 1 year before they started leaking:yikes:.
So, I ordered a pair of camshaft oil seals from www.boats.net in the USA. Their part # 93101-25044-00, which is the Yamaha OEM
part # S-25-40-6. These are Yamaha OEM single lip seals, and I have no doubt they will last for many years, maybe decades. I only paid $16.95 USD including shipping, which was $23.69 CAD. Loonies just aren't worth much these days.

To summerize, I paid $33.75 from XS650Direct and got crap parts, and then paid $23.69 from www.boats.net and got high quality OEM parts.
If anyone thinks those "XS Performance" seals were made in Japan as advertised, must also believe in the tooth fairy.

The clutch adjusting bolt (on the handlebars) broke into 2 pieces, and left me stranded 180 kms from home a few years back. I was able to jury rig the clutch cable with tape and nylon ties, and make it back home. I bought a replacement "clutch holder" as they call it from XS650Direct. When the part arrived, I was shocked by how poorly made it was. It was made of brass, and much less material in its thickness. Also the threaded part was shorter that the OEM bolt. I tossed it into the garbage and ordered the OEM part #
90123-08046 from my local Yamaha dealer. That part is still used on some models to-day. It is made from steel, not brass.

The clutch bolt from XS650Direct was cheap at $8.50, but was just junk. I paid $20.97 including shipping from Yamaha, and received a very strong clutch bolts that will last for likely 20 or 30 years.

You can buy XS650 parts on E-bay. My last Athena gasket set was bought from "kenosha kid" in Germany. Even with international shipping, it cost less than buying from XS650Direct.

@retiredgentleman
But unless we can get OEM from a Yamaha dealer/ distributor our choices in Canada are extremely limited.
But unfortunately Yamaha is in the business of selling NEW Bikes. I am pretty sure they would love for all these xs to fall into dust.
There are a few reasons the XS650s are so popular,
1. We bought a new one
2. We bought a used one in the 80's and 90's when they were dirt cheap!
3. They are pretty reliable and mostly fairly easy to troubleshoot and work on.
4.... At least for me, I just love them, the "feel", and the "sound", and that low end torque that makes them so much of a pleasure riding in the City, and those twisting/turning/hilly county blacktop roads.
I have owned Honda, Suzuki (have an 08 C50T Suzuki Boulevard), Kawasaki, Harley Davidson (my experience wasn't very good with the HD),
I even had a BSA and liked it as well.. There used to be a zillion of them for sale at .50 a CC lol. I keep an XS because it is beginning to turn heads
and even this last week when I got my old "75B" out of a 13 year slumber I had a 20 something young guy that LIVES IN MY SMALL TOWN comment on it and the sound when I stopped at the mini-mart. He said he hadn't ever heard anything that sounded like it, and he really liked it. I went as far as letting him take it for a spin. You should have seen his face and the smile on it when he got back, and yes I had to tell him it was not for sale.

"The clutch adjusting bolt (on the handlebars) broke into 2 pieces"

I bought several brake and clutch brackets and clutch adjusters. They broke constantly. The clutch ones while mounting them.
I try to purchase limited items.

Yes retiredgentleman I have had similar experiences with quality and fit. When a parts is advertised as "Fits models......" it should also be said "with modifications". I always start with a Yamaha dealer and it is surprising how much we still can get. After that I must say this forum and the collective experience that is shared here regarding parts, tools, etc. is a HUGE asset. Members are quite willing to unselfishly share a lead to a new supplier or source.

I went as far as letting him take it for a spin. You should have seen his face and the smile on it when he got back, and yes I had to tell him it was not for sale.
Good on ya man.

These have probably been in the parts box for awhile as I stopped buying from Mikes 2+ years ago.
Yes the screw is all the way in. The bracket is next to the isolator block with the wiring tab on top.
Another example of their fine products.
View attachment 90018
View attachment 90019

Would you advise me not to buy filters or anything else from them? I havent yet made a purchase but was going to.

Yes it was bad news when I heard Mikes XS bought Z1enterprizes. I have learned that Jeff (previous owner) will stay involved for a while but will remain in NY. One of the sticking points he is working on is the lack of a phone numder on the site. Good luck Jeff.

Would you advise me not to buy filters or anything else from them? I havent yet made a purchase but was going to.

I never had a problem with the filters. I'm running them right now. Key to not tearing the sump is to stay off the throttle until the oil is warm. Lots of the parts are good. Just not all of them. Hopefully, they're working on that.

Back