Mikes Ball-type crank bearing

nghieplk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The photo at mikesxs shows the unavailable Koyo Japanese bearing. The text says the replacement bearing is made in Taiwan. It should still be of decent quality.

that bearing is japan made, so I would say it is decent quality.

Hi James,
betcha the original Koyo bearing was OK but look what it sez on MikesXS site:-

"Crank Main Bearing - Drive end - RH (Ball Type) - B6306C3- Special. 1 Pc. used per engine. OEM# 93306-30604-00-00 Fits: 1970-84 650'sMade in Taiwan exclusively for Mikes XS Replaces the Discontinued and long unavailable Koyo brand original Bearing."

And I bet MikesXS wouldn't bother getting them custom-made in Taiwan if you could just go out and buy them at the nearest bearing supply house.

One more thing, about the camshaft. I heard everybody said about shell #1 cam but cannot find it anywhere to buy. Only a site name hoosracing, but they said "exchange", doesnt it means that they will exchange with the stock cam and get 125$?
I heard that mikexs cam are not good and didnt work in most cases. So i dont how to get a right cam in my case..

So the taiwan made does work well, doesnt?
I tried to look for a used oem japan on the ebay but no luck..

Hi nghieplk,
Taiwanese industry is capable of making components of world-class excellence. It's also willing to make things of far lesser quality to sell cheaply.
But if that Taiwanese bearing is the only one that's available, buying it is the only choice you have. I hope it works well for you.
About that Shell cam, why do you want it instead of your stock cam?
If your stock cam is worn or missing a want ad in this list's classifieds could find you a good used one.
And perhaps a replacement main bearing, too?

Last edited:
The Shell #1 cam is a good grind for a street bike, good power but not just at high RPM. Gary (Hoos Racing) is a great guy and is super honest. You'll need to send him a cam and the money in exchange for a reground cam. If you ask him, he'll probably sell you the cam with no exchange, but the cost will be higher. The $125 for the service is very reasonable.

Hi bighairyralph, thank you for the information buddy. I think ill give a try, altjought the shipping cost twice is quite high.
About the crankshaft bearing, luckily, i found a nos oem made in japan one from ebay and just purchased it yesterday. The cheap price suprising me!

Back