mikes dual fire point cam and coil problams

royfisk

build and rebuild get bet
Reaction score
O.K. Heres the scoop
I bought mikes dual lobe point cam and the dual fire (BUDGET) coil. I have new oem points, and condensor. What I am experianceing is the bike will start first kick EVERY time cold or hot with no choke. (RUNNING VM 34's). The bike will run good to around 4000 RPM then fall on its face. The advance is working. Timing is right, both valves and ignition. although I am running .006 exhaust and .003 intake but have adjusted them to the book also. Cam chain and adjustment is good. What I am wondering is if the condensors cant keep up with the revs, or if the coil is breaking down. Ay first I thought I was having carburator issues but puttin on the stock bs 38's and getting exact same results killed that theory. Has anyone else experianced this issue and if so did you cure it or kill it?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thats too funny cause I was just thinking about that, I have again mikes manual cock with dual outlets. I was wondering if it flow's enough or not. The lines are not plugged in any form, I am running tygon soft yellow lines and can clearly see that they are flowing, but it does appear to be rather slow. Untill you take the line off the carburator then it poors. It would not explain why I am having the same issue with the bs carbs but there is a posability that the vm's have the wrong inlet seat. Ones for a fuel pump.

I tried the dual lobe cam. The bike ran good. Reved just fine.
I did notice the same as alot of poeple that tried it. The lobes don't quite match. You can see it with a timing light, you see two marks. The marks seem to get farther apart as the revs climb.
Some people that have better equipment than I say anywhere from 4-7 degrees difference. It can be fixed by grinding back the side too advanced, if I remember right.
I just put in a Pamco and never looked back.

Does it start missing as if it's running out of fuel?

I had a similar problem kept putting it down to the carbs, it would start first or second kick every time, run fine around town or even on a run but as soon as it was pushed that was it, I fitted a Boyer unit and never had the problem since, (apart from when I was setting up my velocity stacks)

Just read the rest of your comments, at first I didn't think I was getting enough flow, I even started drilling out the petrol taps to get more flow!!

Back