mikes emulsion tube o-rings suck.

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
So, I went thru my carbs and check floats on my 1971 b, and if I remember correctly, four years ago, I replaced those orings with one from mikesxs. They were tight when I replaced them. Granted the bike has been sitting for a few years, but when I replaced the originals with mikes, the originals were tighter.
This time, the tubes just fall out. frustrating. I finally get the stock charging system working, fire it up, and runs only on choke, and fouls quik. I pull the plugs and they are dripping wet with gas. floats are perfect, checked them in a cup of hot water for bubles, spec'd hieth. Got the idle mix screws 1 turn out as per manual.
that oring must be it.
What are the dimensions of that oring so I can grab some from McMaster-carr? looking your direction, 5t). Should I get a Viton, neo, or ?.

Hi angus, 5twins,
Yeah, go with Viton, what with the vile muck they're selling for gas these days Buna-N may not cut it anymore.
OK, nostalgia time:- one of my first apprentice tasks was supervising an o-ring test machine.
We were looking for an o-ring material that would survive in the first generation of synthetic lubricants.
The acceptance was a max of 30% o-ring swelling after 24 hours.
Viton was the only one that stood up. Others swelled up to twice the size and some could be wiped off the test mandrel with a rag.

pack of 25 Viton on the way. now I just need 22 pairs of bs38's and im set!
Thanks guys.

Look at it this way - that whole bag of 25 cost you less than Mike's charges for 2. By the time you do up a couple sets of carbs, pass some on to buddies and other local 650 riders you happen to meet, they'll be gone before you know it. I'm on like my 2nd or 3rd bag, lol.

Back