Mikes keihin carb kit

We bought Mike's XS assets...we never sold any carbs with the Keihin logo on them or marketed them as Keihin. We did not feel it was ethical to sell something that was not what it was supposed to be. Thanks

They purchased his assets along with his liabilities. They don't see it's just as unethical to keep your money as it is to sell them to you :) That requires real ethics.

Do not buy these carbs you would be better off just burning 300 dollars and you would save a lot of time. I am having the same issues with the carbs as everyone else sticky slides and overflow problems. They worked good at first but after I rode for about 4 hours total with them on they leak horribly bad. I am not bashing mikesxs I buy plenty of parts from them, but these carbs suck.

The overflow is def due to the shitty internal casting. Once I got over that hurdle the bike is running beautiful. Now to figure out what to do with the sticky slides.

Entertaining reading. While this new carb craze has consumed everyones chase for more power I have scoured ebay and other sources to buy up any OEM XS carbs that were being dumped. I guess the XS world has caught on. Early on I found OEM sets going for $25 until the thruth was known. Now They are listed at $200 ++ Not that they get that much.

I have great luck getting the BS carbs to run well. When I want to get more performance I spend time dialing in the VMs. Why reinvent the wheel. Any stock carb sets for sale out there under $50 ???

I was contacted by Mike's XS and offered a free set of "XS Performance" carbs in exchange for an honest assessment of them. They told me that there have been many satisfied customers but admit that they are of inconsistent quality. If you get stuck with a lemon, they will exchange it.

I was hopeful that the original set of "Keihin" carbs I got were just duds and the new "XS Performance" carbs would work well. Looking at them side-by-side, they appear to be identical carbs with just a name change.

XSPC01.jpg

XSPC02.jpg

In fact, Mike's confirmed that the "XS Performance" carbs come from the same factory [in Taiwan] as the "Keihins" that Mike L. was selling. The only change is the name on the side and the cable adjusters.

From the looks of it, they have been using the same tooling all these years without resharpening anything.

XSPC03.jpg

XSPC04.jpg

XSPC05.jpg

XSPC06.jpg

Those are pics of the slide bores of the "XS Performance" carbs right out of the box. The finish is atrocious! Worse yet, the slides rattled around inside. There was about 0.015" slop. Compared that to the slides in my "Keihins" which were about 0.005".

Another indication of the hit and miss quality is this accidental drill mark.

XSPC07.jpg

XSPC08.jpg

It doesn't look like that big of a deal except that that is where the o-ring for the jet block is supposed to seal.

Despite all that, would you believe me when I tell you that the carbs worked flawlessly? No really, the overly rich off-idle transition is gone [using the jets and needles from my other carbs] and the slides did not stick. Well, for the first ten minutes anyway. They were sticking before the end of the first test ride. I re-synced them and went for another ride. By the time I got home they would stick while parked [revving the engine in neutral]. However far I opened the throttle, that is where the slides stuck. I confirmed that it was in fact the slides sticking by reaching down and moving the cable housings up and down in the adjusters.

When I reported to Mike's XS that these carbs were also duds they offered to pay me for my time. :thumbsup: The new owners are trying. I'm told that the future kits will have a better quality cable and they have a guy in Taiwan now to try and get a handle on the inconsistent quality issues with the carbs.

I hope they can get these ironed out. When they work, they really work quite well. It is a nice design and very easy to tinker with. I am told that there are some decent ones out there but I have yet to personally see it.

I do not see how there are any decent carbs out there from the same tooling and factory. Maybe it is the operator of the tools. Mr. Riggs I am sure glad that you received the chance to do the evaluation. Your oppinion is held high in the XS Community, and it may have saved many from making a costly mistake.(like myself) Again, thank you for your comparison.

Unbelieveable :yikes:........................those rough castings on the slide area of a carb:wtf:.

Obviously the Taiwan factory does no product testing, and has no quality assurance, if they even know what quality assurance means??

I just had my Mikuni BS38's apart for an inspection this week, they are built with such high quality................superb engineering and build quality.

Well, it was good they tried, but I'm amazed they didn't sort through their stock and at least send the (apparent) best ones.

Has anyone bought and tried the real Keihins they are selling? For the money after they were set up, though, you could get that nice pair of mikunis with accelerator pumps.

John

...but I'm amazed they didn't sort through their stock and at least send the (apparent) best ones.

They made it clear that it was not their intent to just get some good reviews. They really want to fix these things. My reply was appreciated and was forwarded [with the pictures] to their guy in Taiwan who is meeting with the supplier.

As much as I would have liked to receive the pick of the litter, that wouldn't have helped them resolve the underlying issues.

They made it clear that it was not their intent to just get some good reviews. They really want to fix these things. My reply was appreciated and was forwarded [with the pictures] to their guy in Taiwan who is meeting with the supplier.

As much as I would have liked to receive the pick of the litter, that wouldn't have helped them resolve the underlying issues.

It is def. good that MikesXS reached out and wants to solve the bigger issue...at the source/factory. They are trying...I'll give them that much.

After struggling with these carbs for a while and based on Mrriggs recommendation, I decided to go a different route. I figured that I wouldn't "invest" more cash in something that has such poor build quality (e.g., chasing bad money with good).

Instead, I went with a set of Mikuni VM34s. When I took the VMs appart, the differance in build quality is night and day. These carbs are running well, and the price differance between the VMs and MikeXS's carbs was ~$100. Anyone considering carbs, I recommend the VMs based on my personal experience.

Now if I could just hammer out my electrical issues...loss of power under load. Likely the TCI, but still need to test it.

How did the repacment carbs work?

There is more detail in the other PWK thread, but I was able to make one good set from the two. After lapping the new slides to the old carb bodies I was finally able to dial them in perfectly. No sticking, no hesitation, just crisp throttle response EVERYWHERE.

I'm still trying to verify that too but I know the larger one is the fuel inlet and I'm assuming the two smaller ones are vacuum. On my install, on the right carb, I ran the left side to the right side and on the left carb I plugged the right side and ran the left side to my vacuum petcock but I seem to be having idle problems (maybe not enough vacuum to hold the petcock open?). Any help for the pro's on here would be great!!

I've been looking at these carbs recently, thinking of fitting a pair to my US 650D, which is running ok 3 years since I imported/restored it, but not 100% ok!
I cannot get rid of the rough idling, and its running really hot, plus the carbs need constsnt re-balancing.
After reading all the posts from the last few years, I think I'll forget buying these "chinese copies" and continue refining the originals' set up.
I've also just got a US 650C, the carbs and jets are different to my 'D', this bike is still being restored, but I'm already worried about the carbs again!:eek:

I've been looking at these carbs recently, thinking of fitting a pair to my US 650D, which is running ok 3 years since I imported/restored it, but not 100% ok!
I cannot get rid of the rough idling, and its running really hot, plus the carbs need constsnt re-balancing.
After reading all the posts from the last few years, I think I'll forget buying these "chinese copies" and continue refining the originals' set up.
I've also just got a US 650C, the carbs and jets are different to my 'D', this bike is still being restored, but I'm already worried about the carbs again!:eek:
For a resto there is plenty of info on how to set up the standard carbs, I'm sure others will chime in.

A must have is the Carb guide, do you have it..?

I've not got any data on the carbs: I have got about 12 XS650 carbs, from my own bikes and ones I've bought.
I think one set are off a different bike, they have physically smaller inlet outlets, but others have just one choke, some have 'pull sideways' chokes, others have the usual press down to pull up lever on the LH carb. I have a set with a twin cable wheel inbetween the carbs, a set with a black plastic wheel to alter the idle....and a pair of Keihins!
The Haynes manual specifies incorrect data as well, I have US bikes, and the specs for my C and D are totally wrong:doh:

Back