Mikes keihin carb kit

bobber bill,

Here is a pic of the installed carb on the left side:

new carb.jpg

As you can see, the carb ends up horizontal if you install the rubber carb holders correctly. The vacuum barbs are as shown.

It is not advisable to not use the aluminum manifold extensions. They are an important part of the whole reason to install these carbs.

I am not familiar with the throttle you are using, but I could suggest that that is the reason you are having difficulty getting the slides to drop. Try disconnecting the throttle cable from the throttle to help determine if it is the throttle cable or the throttle.

If the throttle cables are too long, try routing them on the left side to use up some of the length.

Bobber Bill, Those choke shafts are probably pretty soft. I bet you could bend it back pretty easily. If not, I would contact them about it. Send the pics in your email.

Use the aluminum spacers and mount the carb holders so that the vacuum barbs point up and out. They say you have to use the spacers for performance reasons. The holders should then point the carbs slightly down and pretty much straight back. Maybe you have the right and left carb holders mixed up?

the choke wouldnt close so i tried to bend it back, but its actually pretty tough for a little thing made of brass. ive emailed mikesxs the pictures and explained my situation, hopefully ill hear back soon with some good news. [ follow-up report: MikesXS got back to me the next day and the replacement choke is on its way! ]

mounted up the carb holders with the barbs pointing up and out like you suggested, worked out well - :thumbsup:. i just assumed at first that the barbs should be pointed more inward than out, for a number of reasons.

now if i could just get some nice pictures of the vaccum/fuel line routing... Pete?:laugh:

Last edited:
bobber,

Here is a pic of the fuel setup for my '81/H that only has one fuel petcock. Coming from the left side through a filter to a tee and then to each carb. If you have a pre '80 bike with two fuel petcocks, then it is even easier. Just run a separate 1/4" fuel line from each pet cock to the carb on the same side as the pet cock, through a filter.

fuel to carbs.jpg

If you do not have vacuum pet cocks, then just use the supplied blind plugs to cap off each of the vacuum barbs. If you do have vacuum pet cocks, then run a hose from each vacuum barb to the vacuum port on the pet cock. If you only have one vacuum pet cock, then just run one hose from the vacuum barb to the pet cock and cap the other vacuum barb with the blind cap.

ahhh... NICE!

i should use smileys ( emoticons? ) more often! apparently theyre better than rubbing a golden lamp!

now if i could just get MikesXS to do the same haha. that and this problem with my cable length...

Are any of you running these carbs with the OEM air filters or at least the OEM configuration. I have K & Ns in the stock config. Would like to stay with this look.
Thanks

jetero41,

I don't think that is possible because the carbs themselves protrude into the space for the stock air filters.

Just ordered mine, here on Friday :thumbsup: Honestly for the price, and what you get, it's pretty unbeatable!

MikesXS got back to the next day and the replacement choke should be on its way now. I never really doubted that their customer service anyway. Theyve always been really good in my book.

Hi guys,
I've been following this thread because I've had trouble with my OEM carbs for years and this may be the low cost solution I've been waiting for. I have a stock 1975 xs650b that I spent several years restoring. Any idea what installation of these carbs would be like for a stock 1975 bike? I realize that I will need to remove the air filter boxes. Mike's ad also states "Cable fits to 1976-84 throttle" What does this mean that I need to do for my '75?

Any opinions are apprecited. Ross

I have a 75. I'm using a linked set of 76 carbs. I use one throttle cable. You can do the same. Just remove the extra cable from the throttle housing.

Just exploring carb options for my XS project, can someone that has these installed give me an approx. measurement from the intake flange to the end of the carb. Im looking for the overall length, intake manifold + carb holder + carb... without the pod

Thanks!

got my carb kit today..... WOW talk about a complete kit. everything mounted real smooth.. my bike is still going together so I won't be firing it up for another 30 days or so.

I'm going to have to shorten the upper portion of the throttle cable as I'm doing a custom build and I don't need the metal elbow and it's about 6 inches too long.. so be a piece of cake.

INSTALL NOTE:: i saw that someone was having trouble installing the spacers and carb boots. if you look on the front of the carb boot, it's labeled L & R ( left and right side) do that and just keep the vacuum port pointing up and you'll be fine.

Hutch, Too long? Why?

Just because of my setup on my chop, I only have about 6" of clearance straight back from my intake flange to faux oil bag...

I'm thinking about fabbing up a custm 2-1 intake manifold anyways...

i have a 77 with the links too, was wondering how that was gonna play out, thanks for that leo. i have free flow harley pipes on mine think ill run into any problems?

Back