Mikes Mixture screw Kit

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if I need to replace the cap on my 34s since I drilled it out to access the idle mixture screw. I see mike has the kits for $4 each

part number #48-5012

Most don't I dab a bit of thin grease in there so water doesn't get in and corrode the jet to the body. I have seen some that were pretty bad even with the plug in place. Rubber would be ideal but I don't know of any that fit.

I have the kit you are refering too. I actually don't have anything over my screw. Grease sounds like a good option. I have seen a bunch of different size rubber plugs at ACE hardware, but not sure if any would fit. The metal plug in the kit works ok, but I think as long as you don't turn the screw out too far, like 4 + turns, which is not advisable for many reasons, it won't back out because of the spring pressure. After 4 turns the spring quits doing it's job.
mix screw.jpg

Home Depot has a rubber cap in their drawers that will fit... I split it up the side so it would clear a part of the carb. That was on a different bike with a bs34. xsJohn had a simple plug but I can't remember what he made it from. It's on the 650rider.com site, if you can find it.

Since were talking about carbs, if I've completely disassembled the carb can I soak the whole body in an environmentally friendly paint thinner?, just a bit less harsh. The carb guide says to never soak the whole body. How come?

You need to remove all rubber parts such as diaphams, choke plunger seats,butterfly shaft seals etc. If all the rubber parts are removed, then should be OK to soak them.

Soaking old carbs may be fine for a general clean up, but the important thing is to make sure that all passage ways and orifices are clear. Those unfamiliar with these carbs, seem to fail to check the pilot circuit and the choke circuit. In the "Tech" section you should read up on "carbs".

Back