Mike's Wiring Harness - Need Help ID-ing A Few Wires

gps2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Purchased a Mike's harness for my '75 (447) and there are a couple discrepancies I need help with:

There are two connector blocks in the harness that don't show up on the wiring diagram. One comes out of the harness near the coils (I'll call it #1), the other is at the front (I'll call it #2). Some wires are the same color and I have confirmed that they're opposite ends of the same wire with my circuit tester. It looks like they might be intended to connect with a flasher cancelling unit because I have something in my pile of electrical bits that looks like it might be one. I don't even know what a flasher cancelling unit does. Anyone?

If this set of wires is supposed to come off the left handlebar switch into a turn signal cancelling unit, can I just bypass it? Do I need it? Anyone else had this happen with a Mike's harness?

Connector Block #1 (Rear - 5 wires). Green/Red, Chocolate, White/Red, Orange, Black.
connector2.jpg

Connector Block #2 (Front - 6 wires). Light Blue, Green/Red, White/Red, Blue/Red, Green/White, Orange.
connector1.jpg

connector3.jpg

Turn Signal Cancelling Unit? I think? What does this do? (6 wires). White/Green, White/Red, Black, Yellow/Green, Chocolate, Yellow/Red
connector4.jpg

Yamaha had a signal canceling unit,signal flasher unit, a reserve lighting unit and separate reg and rec boxes. They list something called a lamp checker... Not sure if the 75 model had all that or not.

I believe its block #1 (the block should only go as far as the coils) That is the turn signal canceling unit which the '75 didn't have. Just leave it unplugged. I have the same harness:thumbsup:

Hello guys,
I am having the same cable hanging out off my wire harness from xsdirect.com I have an 1980 xs650 sg. I have nothing to plug that plug to(the 6 round pins) What is the part that goes there? Where can I find it? My head light and flasher currently dont work(they did not either before I change the harness)Is it the source of the problem?
Thanks
Alexis

Thanks for the diagram. I am aware that it is related to the indicator light,but what was at the end of theise wires?a module,relay? Does somebody knows? and do I need this on my 1980 xs650 sg?
Thanks
Alexis

Last edited:
That six wire plug was in my 75 harness. The 75 didn't have self canceling flashers. In some countries it might have. If you have a self canceling unit it might plug in there. The other end would go up to the speedo for the reed switch as used on the later bikes.
You would also need the left hand switches off the later models too.
The way the self canceling turns worked was you push the switch left or right it sent a signal to the lights and the self canceler then the switch button returned to center.
The self canceler used reed switch to determine distance traveled. An internal clock was used to determine time. It used this inputs to determine how long to flash the turns.
It worked ok when new but after 30+ years the self canceler can get feeble minded and turn the flashers off at any time. Not at the predetermined times it was designed to. This can be trouble some because when your waiting for traffic to clear so you can turn, the signals shut of, the traffic won't know what your doing and this can lead to at best a scare for some folks or you get run over.
On your 75 just ignore those wires. Don't mess with a self canceler.
Leo

Last edited:
Back