Mikes XS Brake Caliper Quality

Here's a shot in the dark... 5yrs later. Just picked up one of these calipers. Far as I can tell comparing it against the original, they are identical. That said... is it normal for the pads to come out of their seat location so easily?

Thanks!

GeorgeOC - That caliper on the TX was the same as the one used on the RD250B. I really liked the feel of it. Once you remove the caliper the pads come out very easily. When fitting new pads it is a bit harder to push the pistons back on these compared to the later model caliper used on the Specials. But their should be good advice on this forum somewhere. I believe I used to split the caliper and push each piston in individually, but that was years ago and memories fade.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. I was hinting at the following. The caliper ships with a black plastic block in the space where the rotor would occupy. I took that safety block out, and the the pads seems to fall right out, along with the half moon shaped shim.

Do the pads and shims generally 'roam free?' Or are they secured in place some how? Im just concerned that under power, they'd rattle and drag.

In some applications they are pretty loose but more modern designs capture them because nowadays, the calipers are designed to pull back a tiny bit when the brakes are off to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel economy.

In the old days, the pads sometimes fitted more loosely because the calipers dragged on the discs and so nothing much could rattle. It cause a bit more friction and thus, a bit more fuel consumption wear - but nobody cared because gasoline was so cheap.

In some applications they are pretty loose but more modern designs capture them because nowadays, the calipers are designed to pull back a tiny bit when the brakes are off to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel economy.

In the old days, the pads sometimes fitted more loosely because the calipers dragged on the discs and so nothing much could rattle. It cause a bit more friction and thus, a bit more fuel consumption wear - but nobody cared because gasoline was so cheap.

Thanks Pete! I was thinking I might just dab a teeny tiny bit of heavy grease on the back of the shim to hold it in place.

They just fit very loosely. The shims and the pads have tabs that slots into that groove each side at the front. This stops them rotating and the pad tabs act as pad thickness indicators. If you go to the website www.shopyamaha.com you will find nice exploded diagrams for all the Yamahas. Choose the "Parts" Tab and then on the far left you will see the heading "Motorcycle" and choose "Street Parts". You then have to select the Year, Model and which Diagram you want. You can copy the diagrams and the parts lists into MSWord if you want to create your own hard copy. I find this handy to make sure I am using the correct names when asking questions on the forum.

Thanks Paul, I've been using CMSNL for diagrams after biker.net closed up. The reference you sent is much better... Thank you.

Back