Mikes XS Cafe Seat for Heritage Specials - pics, please

nighthog

A bit of a bike hacker
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

as this is now unobtainable (unless anyone want to sell me one :)) I'm going to try reworking a good spare seat base I have for my '82 and get it reupholstered by a local firm to look as similar as possible to the Mike's seat. Can somebody please provide some pics of the underside of that seat? And a few from different angles, anything really, that could help me?

Thanks -
Cliff

Or, buy one.
1980_1983_Yamaha_XS650_Special_cafe_seat_metal_pan_2__38003__07800.1563746224.JPG

https://motorcycleseatsdirect.com/1980-1983-yamaha-xs650-special-cafe-seat-metal-pan/

Ah, thanks, but the trouble with that one is that it retains the housebrick rear light, which I detest. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Have a look at Texavina. I know they have the pan. Perhaps they'll build your seat.
They do this one for the 11 Special.
IMG_6172__11123.1566125920.220.220.JPG

Marty, Eugene, thanks. I'm not in a hurry so I'll drop texavina a line while trying to work out what's possible with the pan I already have. I've just spent a small fortune on midsets so cost is a bit of an issue right now! I look forward to the pics :)

If you need anymore photos or measurements let me know.
The Hump is solid not just shaped foam padding.
On the underside the rear quadrant looks like its tacked onto a standard base.
Just glad I bought mine when I did............... :devil:

The late Special challenging to convert. 78 & 79 are much easier. My 83 will stay stock. I have a 79 XS6502F. I bought it for $30. Junk heap. Easy to personalize.

Get Texavina on board. They can replace Mike’s.

Thanks, guys. I will get in touch with Texavina to see what they could do, but as Eugene says it looks like the Mikes seat is based on a factory pan anyway. Eugene - could you do a couple of underside pics showing the profile, please? That will show whether the sides were also worked on.

Cheers all -
Cliff

This sort of side view?
I can feel no join in or around the base edge. If they've used a standard base, the hump could be attached in what would be the rear light recess area maybe then the extra plate welded on at the bottom just to hide it.
IMG_0146.jpg

That's helpful but I really meant from the underside. I'm interested in how the seat pan has been altered - if you look at the 'ear' above and to the right of the shock top mount, and the line from there to the back, it looks a little different from standard:

20190601_153916.jpg

The line seems straighter and I wondered if the base has been altered, assuming it started with a standard base of course.

I rather like your 'BSA' badge - that's a nice touch! :D

Hmmmm. For what it's worth, your not making a copy but your own version. It'll be a bespoke cover, so replication isn't the issue.
I reckon those ears are just for line continuity with the custom spec, cut them off.
On mine the only change in the base, as can be seen in that pic is from where that rear quadrant is tacked on. Also the centre of my seat pan maybe looks flatter???
May need cutting away.
Then cut the elevated rear of the base away at about the third spike down and maybe use that part to help reshape the rear end. Would the elevated section bend down? Thus no change in the rim.
Definitely a good winter project...............:doh:

:) thanks!

Well, I have other jobs to do on the XS over the winter, but as and when I manage to do something with the seat, I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. Keep your fingers crossed for me -
Cliff

Back