Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mikes has these.... link to Mikes
Carburetor Kit - XS650 - 1980-1984 - Premium Heiden Dyno Tune
48-0667.jpg

Converts the fixed BS34 needles to adjustable. Anyone here tried these... have any experience with em.... comments?

Most reports on that kit aren't very good. Seems it was designed for use on a 750 big bore kit and with Heiden's own 2-1 exhaust. On a lightly modded, mostly stock 650, I guess it doesn't work too well. If you're looking for adjustable needles to play with, my recommendation would be the Cruzinimage kits I mentioned in the thread 2M linked to.

From what i have found. The non US BS3's, (Canada, Japan Oceania), have the 5IX11 needle and 366Y-0 needle jet. This set up has a 132.5 main jet under the plug and 130 pilot jet in the Carb venture.
From the Japanese TX650 80-82 Parts manual and as seen in 2 sets of Oceania bs34 carbs

US set up for the 5HX12 needle and Y-0 needle jet is 132.5 main Jet under the plug and 135 pilot jet in the Venture.

I'm running Mike's Oceana needles a and emulsion tubes on a stock cylindered 650. 140 main, 42.5 pilots, third notch, slightly baffled straight pipes. I'd go this route over the heiden "kit"

I'm running them in an 81. Setup is:
BS34 carbs, Mikes XS Performance pleated pod filters(K&N knockoff), Mikes Commando exhaust, Main 147.4, Pilot 45, Pilot Air 35, Needle jet Y-O, Heiden needle (Whatever notch they recommended ton start). It runs great and pulls strongly and cleanly from idle to redline. I did drill the slide vents as recommended.
I wouldn't use the Heiden needles for stock airbox or exhaust but they are viable if the airflow is modified.

I wouldn't use the Heiden needles for stock airbox or exhaust but they are viable if the airflow is modified.

This doesn't make any sense.........These needles, (Stated they were used on North American models), and if that is so, then they were also used on standard air-box and exhaust set ups on the European Standard and Special Models, (2 different exhaust systems), using BS34's, years 80-82 and also Oceania Models 80/81 using BS34's and north America, (Canada), 80-84 and Japan, Japanese models both Specials and Standards with the different Exhaust set ups

The airflow was modified in a sense, because the Y-O needle jet was replaced with the 366-YO and this Jet had an extra 4 bleed holes. Cant understand why the 366-YO is not used on the Heiden Kit in conjunction with the needles????..........

This doesn't make any sense.........These needles, (Stated they were used on North American models), and if that is so, then they were also used on standard air-box and exhaust set ups on the European Standard and Special Models, (2 different exhaust systems), using BS34's, years 80-82 and also Oceania Models 80/81 using BS34's and north America, (Canada), 80-84 and Japan, Japanese models both Specials and Standards with the different Exhaust set ups

The airflow was modified in a sense, because the Y-O needle jet was replaced with the 366-YO and this Jet had an extra 4 bleed holes. Cant understand why the 366-YO is not used on the Heiden Kit in conjunction with the needles????..........

I went back to re-read the description on Mikes XS site. As I read it, the BS34 carbs are what was used on North American models, not necessarily these needles. While they are probably similar to the needles used on Canadian models, I did not see that they were the same. I was just letting the OP know how they worked on my machine and what the overall settings were.

They are not the same. They are some needle Heiden came up with, totally unrelated to either stock needle. If I'm not mistaken, they are longer than either stock needle which would make them leaner. That may be required because of the large mains included in the Heiden kit. If you're running 147.5 mains, that's 6 sizes larger than stock. That's a very big increase for just the basic "pipes and pods" mod.

Back