Mikes XS Discount Code

I live in the middle of nowhere and thus have to buy all my parts online. I like the idea of mikes because its a one stop shop, but ill take the advice and check elsewhere for what I need. I just hate having to pay shipping for every little part. Thanks for the help.

Better to pay shipping than have 50 % of the parts, you buy from Mikesxs, fail within a year or so. I make trips where I am quite a long distance from home at times. I don't want parts to fail when I am out in the mountains. I search for OEM parts first. Some OEM parts are still available from Yamaha. My next choice is places such as www.boats.net, that also sells OEM parts.
Used OEM parts from other XS650 owners, in my opinion, are likely better than some parts sold by Mikesxs.

Before you buy a specific part, ask about that part on this site, and you will get some very good information, that could save you money.

Rather than making broad statements about the reliability or quality of a supplier's products, I think it best that we simply list the parts that have proven to be good, and those which are have failed. Pete made such a list a number of months ago of Mike's parts that he has purchased, and what came of them.

I dont have the time to make my own list of the many MIke's products I've purchased, and only a few have been unsatisfactory.

They seem to be mostly EMGO products.

They seem to provide a much needed, although somewhat flawed service to us owners.

I think it best that we simply list the parts that have proven to be good, and those which are have failed.

This would be aamazing as a sticky in the Tech section. Pete, what ever happened to your list? I don't recall seeing it in my casual browsing. Between the tenured folks here and those that had to learn "the hard way" - it wouldn't be too difficult to get something started then adjust as time goes by.

Some type of grid or spreadsheet with partno, common name, description, supplier, manufacturer (if known), comments/notes, and date would be awesome. Wouldn't a link to an debug/install thread be even more awesome.
As with anything like this, data maintenance and accuracy can be issues.
Just this week I needed camshaft seals so my choices where Mikes (XSdirect here in Canada), 650Central, boats.net, and OEM Yam dealer. Folks here (you know who you are) steered me away from Mikes, the ones that are leaking on me came from 650Central, shipping from boats.net is exorbitant. OEM original part has been superseded with a new part no, which again, this site suggested wasn't the same as the original part. Original part is still available so I went with that. Upshot of this rather long tale is that all this info could be found in one place, if available. My $.02

Last year I bought camshaft oil seals from boats.net.
2 seals cost $9.96 USD
shipping cost $6.99 USD
Total $16.95 USD

I don't see how you can call $6.99 exorbitant. I thought it was very reasonable. Have they raised shipping costs?
What was your cost to buy the seals?

Well I guess exorbitant might be a little over the top but in general my experience is that shipping is often more than the item itself. My post was meant to be more about the list and parts availability.

Back