mikes xs pwk carbs

frzbag1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got my carbs, put them on and all was good. started tinkering with idle and now I cant get them back to where they were originally set. does anyone know where the screw should be set and which jet should be used on a 78' special. Thanks a ton

Ok,
I'm tagging on to this thread with a Mike's PWK carb question (I know groans and hisses).
I have them on a rephased, 750 kitted, '83 motor, Delkevic 2-1 stainless exhaust with all baffles installed.
I have not had any of the throttle cable, idle hanging issues. In fact, they have run pretty well since i put them on. Went to the biggest main jet included with them as the plugs were quite light after the first few test rides after getting it on the road.
Here's jetting:
Mains: 110
Needle clip: One rich from center, 4th groove from the top of the needle.
Pilots: 35 (Middle selection of the 3 sizes that came with the kit. Also have 30s and 40s)
Here's the issue, come to a stop, settles down to a nice idle immediately.
Idling for several seconds (10-20 at a stop light or some such)
Go to take off and it rich blubbers, puff of black smoke. Then gets on with it once the revs are up to 1500-2000.
Pulls clean and feels crisp and properly jetted otherwise.
Plugs are on the light side if anything after a 20 or so mile ride.
Anybody with these carbs experience this same transition-from-idle issue and been able to solve it?
Thanks!

I fought with these carbs for several weeks now. It’s not running too bad right now. Mine are set up much like yours but I just installed a 130 main because I too thought it was running on the lean side. That’s also why I dropped the clip on the needle one notch. If I idle it too long, the plugs will load up. Once I take off it pulls without hesitation. If I crack the throttle wide open really quickly from less than 3,000 rpm it will bog a bit. I’m glad mine is rideable now. People remind me that it’s a 44 year old bike, running on carbs that weren’t meant to be used there, so learn to accept compromise. That’s where I’m at right now.

Back