MikesXS Electronic Ignition Kit

rbirkey

TriumphBonneville.org
Reaction score
Greeting to all,

I am new to this forum having recently decided to help a buddy who purchased a 1977 Yamaha XS650D with less than 9,000 miles on it. We are in the process of rebuilding it and getting it running.

I have lots of experience with Triumph Bonneville's but this is my first Yamaha XS650 project. I run a forum similar to this one at https://newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/

Based on recommendations from Ethan at MikesXS, I purchased the kit described: Ultimate Electronic Ignition with E-Advancer/XSCharge PMA Package, found at https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs65...ion-with-e-advancer-xscharge-pma-package.html

After receiving the kit and starting the process, I discovered that the "Installation Instructions" are far from complete. It appears that MikesXS is not willing or able to provide enough detail and resources to allow me to finish this installation on my own.

Have any of you purchased this kit or parts of it, and would be willing to shed some light on that process?

I am blogging about the project here: https://triumphbonneville.org/project/1977-yamaha-xs650d/

Thanks for any advice and help you can offer!

Randy

yamaha-on-stand-header.jpg
PMA-ignition-chain.jpg

Attachments

• ignition-kit.jpg
    ignition-kit.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 364
rbirkey, welcome here.
A 77D is a fine XS650.
XS650.com tech advice is the best there is. Today is just a little slow. Hang in there.
MikesXS is maybe not the best first phone call , or second .,
Your bike looks great :thumbsup:

Hi Randy... and welcome!!
but as Machine (also a Randy) said, hang around... someone will chime in eventually. Meantime, click on the 'Search Forums' button at the top and try your luck at finding the info you need. I'm sure it's in here somewhere.

Machine... we were told by the former owner that it was running when he stopped riding it... many years ago. I just decided to upgrade it knowing that this was the weakest link in the Yamaha XS platform and that my friend Scott is going to use this bike on a regular basis... he needs it to be reliable.

This same neighbor of Scott has a 1981 Yamaha XS650 Special that I am thinking I will buy and refurb after we finish this one!

1981-yamaha-650-special.jpg

Last edited:
One mystery to me is what this part is for.

rod.jpg

It seems like it should be a part of the electronic advance (maybe an advance rod?), but both the MikesXS and Pamco the instructions say "The advance rod is reused"... so that doesn't make sense.

This part is also not mentioned anywhere that I have found yet. Not sure what it is for or where it goes.

bracket.jpg

Thats a Hughs CDI PMA, Charging and ignition system.............they are different to MikesXS PMA.........

Go to Hughshandbuilt site and he will have instructions on how to install a PMA system........not the CDI......

I would also go to MikesXS Tech section and ask for the instructions on how to install the PMA.........You have payed a lot of money so they should at least give you some Tech support...........If they don't help make a complaint............

That been said, do a search for PMA installation or go to the tech menu under Electrical.......
Using second hand parts to make up a PMA for the XS650 but the information will be relevant
http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to...tor-swap-also-known-as-the-banshee-swap.5536/

Not much love for MikesXS XSCharge ignition on here............he ripped of the original ignition guy, (Pamcopete), he was selling for and copied the ignition and put him out of business........Pamcopete developed his ignition for the XS650 community 10 years ago and used this site for troubleshooting and helping the buyers of his product. Also had a 2 year warranty............

rbirkey, it’s all over in these forums that you may want to toss those small cone air filters right away. They seem to block an air port on the intake bell of those BS38 carbs and also do not flow air well exposed .
UNI foam pods seem to be the best “go to” without the stock air box :thumbsup:

These next couple of pages will give some info on the Pamco and its demise.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/page-4

That is the advance rod...................not required on points models, (US 70-79, other countries any points model from 70 -82),as they already use one for the points and mechanical advance.........

Skull. For clarity I think you mean the kit’s advance rod is not needed for the bikes you listed since the bikes from those years already have one. The kit’s advance rod is needed for bikes with TCI ignitions since those bikes don’t have an advance rod installed.

Rbirkey. The plate you are asking about is to mount the Reg/rec to the bike. Not sure what year your bike is but I did not need to use it on my 1980 bike since the kit’s Reg/rec mounted right to the stock Reg/bracket.

Skull. For clarity I think you mean the kit’s advance rod is not needed for the bikes you listed since the bikes from those years already have one. The kit’s advance rod is needed for bikes with TCI ignitions since those bikes don’t have an advance rod installed.

Rbirkey. The plate you are asking about is to mount the Reg/rec to the bike. Not sure what year your bike is but I did not need to use it on my 1980 bike since the kit’s Reg/rec mounted right to the stock Reg/bracket.

i thought i was clear enough.............We are talking about a 77D points model.............All points model XS650 don't need the kit with the advance rod in it as they already have the advance rod holding the points plate and Mechanical advance

...and just to be clear for the record, as far as I am aware, ALL XS650s use an advance rod in the installation of any electronic ignition system - because it is used to mount the trigger rotor on the LH end of the camshaft.

The distinction is that 70-79 bikes already have an advance rod in their points ignition system while you must get a “new” one (either an OEM or aftermarket rod) to install an electronic ignition system in an 80-84 model.

Hope that helps.

So, making some progress today. I *think* I have the left side of the electronic advance installed correctly.

left-side-advancer-1.jpg

left-side-advancer-2.jpg

Now, I can't seem to find anything about these parts... I assume they go on the right side of the advancer shaft?

electronic-advancer.jpg

Does all of this come off?

advancer-right-side.jpg

I'm going out to purchase grounding clamps to mount the coil - thanks for the referral over to http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_coil.htm

Back