MikesXS Electronic Ignition Kit

That original advancer assembly looks to be in good condition........wanna sell it? Mine is still functioning fine but would really like to have a spare........

JAX71224 - I may be willing to sell it to you once I get this bike running and am sure we have a reliable bike for my friend Scott to ride/use.

I have a weird fuse hanging off of the main battery + terminal connector that currently has a fuse labeled "Buss FE 14" and has a spare inside of it that is labeled "Buss AGW 15". It's on a solid red wire that goes into the main wire harness, but I can't seem to find a solid red coming out somewhere else. Any ideas?

unknown-fuse.jpg

Also, when I removed the original stator and wiring assembly it had a blue wire attached to it from a sensor on the top left side of the engine. Any ideas or comments on where I need to route and attach that wire back into the harness?

blue-wire-sensor.jpg

Engine sensor is the neutral switch. In neutral, it provides a ground for the light. Those fuses are add on hacks... it's anyone's guess as to how it was done.
Has anyone mentioned yet that you need to ditch the pleated filters? They don't play nice with the CV carbs.

Jim,

Ahhh, that makes sense now based on its location! Thanks... I think I can figure something out to get that working. And yes... I have Uni filters on order and should be here any day!

Thanks!

I'm wiring up the new ignition system today and ran into another mystery of the MikesXS kit related to the coil. The new coil has a black/white lead and a blue lead. The instructions say:
  • Connect the red, green and black wires from the left side of the advancer box to the coil, battery and ground with the red wire going to the switched battery terminal of the coil, the green wire going to the other coil terminal and the black wire going to a suitable frame ground.
There are no markings or indicators on the coil as to a positive or negative side - just two different color wires. Any idea how to determine which one is the "switched" terminal?

coil-wiring.jpg

There are no markings or indicators on the coil as to a positive or negative side - just two different color wires. Any idea how to determine which one is the "switched" terminal?
Since it's a "dual output" coil, it doesn't matter. Hooked one way, the secondary will discharge left to right across the plug. Reverse the leads and it will discharge right to left. A dual coil is not polarity sensitive....

CoilWiring.JPG

Thank you Jim and Gary... that solves that mystery! I also found where, in the harness, to connect the neutral indicator wire (blue) back up. I've also bypassed the Reserve Lighting Device per Mailman's suggestion and mounted my sensor advance unit there.

Here are the only 2 instructions I DID receive from MikesXS:
The PDF has a wiring diagram (attached below) but it does not show or talk about a 7.5A fuse. Instead, it shows a 20A fuse... but it did not include it in the kit. Is this what you are talking about? BTW - I have no Black wire from the regulator - just a red and a green.

fig1-10.jpg

I also assume I don't need the OEM Rectifier?

oem-rectifier.jpg

Hi All: this is great info. I’m anxious to see how rbirkey’s bike works with the new MikesXS system.

:popcorn:

It never ceases to amaze me how a company will go to all the trouble to develop a complex product and then provide such poorly done instructions in how to install / use it.

Pete

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how a company go to all the trouble to develop a,product and then provide such poorly done instructions in how to install / use it.

Pete

Considering they ripped off the pamco, why wouldn't they copy the instructions and pics from Pete and xs650.com, as well as post a link to Hughs 277 pamco instructions........Guess that goes a long way to why people think they are working with a Pamco

But hey it's the American way and they are just good entrepreneurs..........lol

I'm also very interested in seeing how this comes out and how the ignition fairs. No doubt I will be buying one from Mike's, really my only choice, I will not pay more for something else.

Okay, gonna say this, who really ripped off who? I'm sure that Pamco Pete had more than one look at other ignitions when he was developing his. Pete's instructions/descriptions weren't always fool proof either. How many problem threads on here seemed to go on forever with him?

Scott

No, Pete's design was not new and original. But it was adapted to work on the XS650. But then you have the MikeXS clone that went so far as to leave the PAMCO name printed on their PCB. Now THAT is a BLATANT RIP-OFF!

We really don't know the whole story here of who owns what or who has bought or sold what from or to who. I'm sure we may never find out, but the whole thing seemed fishy to me from the start. I'm guessing that the circuit board was coming from the same supplier, hence the same printing. I'm just saying that we don't know all of the details and they may be way different than we suspect at the moment, and again, we'll probably never know.

Scott

Last edited:
The fuse holder you found in post #44 is the original and correct for your model, but it should have a 20A fuse in it. The Standard models like yours had only one fuse for the whole bike, a 20 amp main fuse.

You say you want to make the bike dependable for daily riding. I'm not so sure that will happen with a Chinese charging system and ignition. It may be new but the quality is questionable. The original systems were quite robust and good. Problems with them are usually because they were never cared for and serviced. The original charging system is a 3 phase alternator similar to what cars have been using for decades. Can't get much more reliable than that. It also allows us to use low cost (but very good) automotive regulators and modern rectifiers from the electronics world. You can upgrade those 2 components for $30 to $40 (or less) and greatly improve the reliability of the stock charging system.

I will concede that an electronic ignition is a very nice and worthwhile upgrade, but it can be done alone without changing the charging system.

True Scott, There has only been one post alluding to the reverse engineering, (Oct 2018), and that wasn't by Pete. In fact he hasn't said much at all. May this year when he said he hasn't been selling to distributors for over a year............So who knows????

Did an update in the Pamco thread about this...........http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

Time to move on.........hell for the price Pete was selling his ignitions without the distributor markup, there must be a market for someone to step in

True Scott, There has only been one post alluding to the reverse engineering, (Oct 2018), and that wasn't by Pete. In fact he hasn't said much at all. May this year when he said he hasn't been selling to distributors for over a year............So who knows????

Did an update in the Pamco thread about this...........http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

Time to move on.........hell for the price Pete was selling his ignitions without the distributor markup, there must be a market for someone to step in

That is just my point, nothing was really said by PP, members here drew their own conclusions. Like the old saying, never assume anything.

Yes, time to move on. I'm rooting for Mike's to make this a good product, with good instructions, and members here can help that happen.

Another scenario.....We help Mike's make a better product and threads like this will help us to finalize and simplify our own instructions.

Scott

Back