MikesXS Left Bar Switch Wiring

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a Mikexs left side handle bar switch that I'm using. I've tested all the wires for continuity, and also just used jumpers to a battery and a bulb, and also to flasher relay to see what works and what doesn't. There are 11 wires coming in/out of the switch housing. I'm not connecting to a factory harness. When I hook up everything in the combinations of wires that I found to work for head/tail lights, turn signals, etc, I'm left over with 2 unused wires. One wire is Yellow with Red stripe, and is connected to the turn signal switch plate in the control housing. The other is thicker gauge bright or lime green wire that is connected to the headlight high/low beam switch. Since not having them connected doesn't seem to affect anything, can I just cut them off? Any ideas of what these wires were for on the original bikes?

I'm guessing that the lime green wire would have been connected to a right hand control switch on the bikes that had the on/off light switch. Testing with a meter, don't you need switched power to that wire for the dimmer switch to get + pos. power?

Same with the Yellow/Red. Shouldn't that wire also get switched power (connected to the run side of the ignition switch)?

In other words, where is your dimmer switch and turn signal switch getting their + pos. power from?

Scott

Actually, that Mike's LH handlebar switch is for a '77 model and it has self-cancelling turn signals and I think those wires are related to that function. I used one of those switches on my '76 and there were two wires that I had to either jumper together or simply tape the ends and not use.

I'm sorry I don;t recall the details right now and I am not in my shop where I can check - but depending on what year the rest of your bikes harness is - that may give you a clue.

Pete

Back