1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

MikesXS Reg/Rec

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wrmdovr, Aug 5, 2016.

1. wrmdovr

wrmdovr If it were easy.....everyone would do it!

All....i have a question about mikesxs reg/reg that came with my pamco...there are three whites, red, black, green and brown. whites go to PMA....red to battery and/or capacitor junctioned to key switch and black to ground. where does the green and brown go to? i have searched and read all posts. i am using this wiring diagram....thanks. WRMDOVR
    simplifiedwiring.jpg

2. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

A reg/rec doesn't come with a Pamco, The Pamco is an ignition, a reg/rec is part of the charging system.
    If your reg/rec has the brown and green wires it is for the XS650's stock charging system. The brown wire is for the reg/rec to read battery voltage, the green wire controls the current flow through the rotor to control the alternator output.
    Leo

3. wrmdovr

i misspoke myself....slightly, meaning that when i ordered my PAMCO from MikesXS i also order the reg/rec from there as well. With that being said do i connect the brown wire to the battery? and if so i would assume to the positive side? also, what do i do with the green wire? From the attached wiring diagram that i am using this is NOT for a stock set up. thanks... WRMDOVR

4. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

Running a PMA this is the Reg/Rect you should be running...........only has a green and red and 3 yellow for the Stator.

5. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If you have a PMA and you bought a rec/reg with 7 wires, you have bought the wrong rec/reg unit. You have bought a rec/reg that is meant to work with an energized rotor as used on stock XS650s. I know little about PMAs, but I think they only use 5 wires. I mentioned these same comments in our PM.

6. Punkskalar

Punkskalar Hugh's HandBuilt

Retiredgentleman is correct, if you are using a PMA system, then you need to use a regulator designed for that system. You cannot use any OEM XS650 Style Regulator with a 3 Phase PMA system.

Your PMA will have 3 yellow wires that go to 3 yellow wires on the regulator/rectifier - and then a hot and a ground lead from the regulator that you run to your battery/cap/fuse panel/etc...

Hugh

7. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

8. wrmdovr

have ordered reg/rec from Hughs Hand Built and awaiting its arrival......will update once installed.