Mikey's new to him 1980 650

Just talked to someone from the local FBO and they will give me a chunk for free but of course I'll have to at least pay for a cup of coffee
Thanks for the heads up I would of never thought of going to see them

1lb later $16.00 I'm good to go
I'll be the only guy in the neighborhood with 1lb of :lmao:safety wire
I have it in various sizes. Some BILTWELL grips have a safety wire groove. Wiring them makes you look cool.
6704-0101_02_Square_480x480.jpg
Handlebar-Grips-Safety-wire-on-end.jpg

Says I.

Attachments

• 6704-0101_02_Square_480x480.jpg
    6704-0101_02_Square_480x480.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
I started to try and remove the float bowl drain plugs and 1 started to strip
I thought before you trash it completely get new ones for back up
Partzilla has a screw and washer on their parts diagram (40/41)but that aint it, mine take a 10mm wrench and they're brass
I gotta keep diggin to find the correct OEM number (mikes looks like there made out of Aluminum)
1980 650 carb.png
IMG_20210911_143705006.jpg
IMG_20210911_143740304_MP.jpg

Let me know if you find 'em. I haven't been able to.
It looks like Mikes has em now in brass but I want to track down a OEM number to see whats out there

Last edited:
Yes, they're wrong, too big. What you need for the 1980 BS34s is the same drain bolt used on all the BS38s. Unfortunately, Yamaha no longer sells it, but they still sell the copper sealing washer .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=0c2514270f638cfd80aa2c78e639f3d5a7971cda

I prefer this copper washer over the aluminum replacements. I think it seals better and lasts much longer (through multiple installs/removals). It looks like you may have the aluminum replacement washers and that may be why your one drain bolt is beginning to strip. It was cranked down really, really tight probably to compensate for that shit aluminum seal washer leaking. I'm pretty sure MikesXS or YamahaXS650.com should have the drain bolts. They're brass so do get buggered up. I've encountered some really bad ones that needed replacing. I try and scrounge good originals from junk carbs. I pulled every one I could find (which wasn't many) out of my dealer's boneyard, lol.

I try and scrounge good originals from junk carbs. I pulled every one I could find (which wasn't many) out of my dealer's boneyard, lol.
Got a spare float bowl you'd want to part with?

BS34s, unfortunately no, only have what goes with the carb sets I have. They're all the newer style too that use the drain screw in the side, not the bolt in the bottom. I think I actually prefer that type. There's sort of a nipple on the bottom you can put a hose on to do clear tube fuel level checks and you can still get the drain screws from Yamaha.

8R6KrHh.jpg

Yes, they're wrong, too big. What you need for the 1980 BS34s is the same drain bolt used on all the BS38s. Unfortunately, Yamaha no longer sells it, but they still sell the copper sealing washer .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=0c2514270f638cfd80aa2c78e639f3d5a7971cda

I prefer this copper washer over the aluminum replacements. I think it seals better and lasts much longer (through multiple installs/removals). It looks like you may have the aluminum replacement washers and that may be why your one drain bolt is beginning to strip. It was cranked down really, really tight probably to compensate for that shit aluminum seal washer leaking. I'm pretty sure MikesXS or YamahaXS650.com should have the drain bolts. They're brass so do get buggered up. I've encountered some really bad ones that needed replacing. I try and scrounge good originals from junk carbs. I pulled every one I could find (which wasn't many) out of my dealer's boneyard, lol.
You don't happen to have the OEM parts number for the bolts?

Back