Mikey's new to him 1980 650

Would the old coil from the on the 80 work for the 75
Nope. Points bikes need 2 coils... one per cylinder. When I got my Honda coils from Ebay, I snagged 2 of 'em too. Jus' keep one for a spare.
Since your original SG coil is still good, put it up on Ebay for 10-20 bucks. Some purist might just snag it and give you some of your money back.

Nope. Points bikes need 2 coils... one per cylinder. When I got my Honda coils from Ebay, I snagged 2 of 'em too. Jus' keep one for a spare.
Since your original SG coil is still good, put it up on Ebay for 10-20 bucks. Some purist might just snag it and give you some of your money back.
Sounds like a plan
Time to take a 75 out and warm up the rubber a bit
Thanks !!

And there may be some good news on the horizon concerning the non-resistor NGK BP7ES sparks plugs we've used and loved for years. It appears NGK may have re-released them under a new stock number. They used to be stock #1034 but are now stock #2412. I ran across them on eBay but so far, they are listed mainly from European sellers. Hopefully they'll be available in this country soon .....
Does anyone know what the correct part # is for NGK BPR7ES?

Points coils need a higher primary resistance as well, about 4 to 5 ohms, or the points will burn up quickly. Most electronic ignition coils have a lower resistance, like 2 to 3 ohms. The Honda coils have about 3 ohms, your stock TCI coil about 2.5 ohms.

For plug wires, for many years now I've been using the EMPI brand silicone plug wire kits for VW Beetles. You get 5 wires in a kit, enough for 2.5 twins, lol.

WR31ZYy.jpg

To assure good contact, before installing the cap or inserting the plug wire into the coil, I strip about 1/8" of the insulation off and fan the wire strands out in a radial pattern like so .....

VqkZjYD.jpg
So what you have here is a non resistor plug wire and I'll have non resistor caps
So then I should be good to go
I've seen the solid core wires that are labeled non resistor too
I was hoping to find the wires in black the search is on

Points are a 2 coil system. The MP08 won't work on the 75

Correct me if i am wrong..........My understanding is that they can be used with points............means they other plug will fire as a wasted spark system like the later TCI models. Points will work overtime.........

Points coils need a higher primary resistance as well, about 4 to 5 ohms, or the points will burn up quickly. Most electronic ignition coils have a lower resistance, like 2 to 3 ohms. The Honda coils have about 3 ohms, your stock TCI coil about 2.5 ohms.

Correct me if i am wrong..........My understanding is that they can be used with points............means they other plug will fire as a wasted spark system like the later TCI models. Points will work overtime.........

corrected......

With the primary resistance being half what a points coil is, the current draw across the points will be double. Same with the condenser. That will shorten the life of both considerably. Plus you'd have to wire the points together in series so either point set would fire the coil. Doable but I wouldn't recommend it.

Plus you'd have to wire the points together in series so either point set would fire the coil.
Now that I think about that, the dwell angle might not allow for series. Maybe running them in parallel?

Points are a 2 coil system. The MP08 won't work on the 75

Keep in mind you can get resistor wire, resistor caps or resistor plugs. You only want 1 of the 3.
What would happen if you had none or 2 or 3
In the case of having 2 or 3 points of resistance would it mean a much weaker spark
I know newby questions but I'm just curious

Yes, too much resistance could result in a weaker spark. You can run no resistance on a points system if you like. I did on my '78 while it still had points. But most all electronic ignitions seem to have resistance in the system, usually the plug cap. I've never tried running no resistance on an electronic ignition, nor would I. I think the electronic systems are designed to be run with resistance in them.

The stock points coils don't have a very high output, maybe 15K volts. I figured eliminating any extra resistance in the lines might help improve that. The only reason Yamaha put resistor caps on was to protect against radio interference. Personally, I don't care if my neighbor's radio goes wonky when I start my bike, lol. I know, scooter trash, I'm nothing but scooter trash, lol.

Last edited:
Some guy on FB was trying to sell some Accel coils on an XS650 group I could read the part # they were the half ohm coils He took the ad down......
140403 are 3 ohm
140401 are the .5ish ohm.

petcock parts.gif
I need to rebuild my petcock is it vacuum type
I just want to get the parts before I dig into it
Parts # 14/15/16 on the fiche diagram
And no I won't buy from MIke's just using his example
Also what size vitron fuel line do I need
I ordered a piece from somewhere but its I.D. is too large (don't remember the size)
Thanks Mikey

Attachments

• petcock rebils mikes xs.jpg
    petcock rebils mikes xs.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 83
I just took another look at the petcock for the 1980 and it looks identical as the ones off the 75 ?

Last edited:
I just took another look at the petcock for the 1980 and it looks identical as the ones off the 75
Shouldn't be the same. :umm: From the factory 75 are off on reserve with the closer bolt spacing 80 are vacuum with wider bolt spacing. Parts don't interchange.
Many have converted the late vacuum to aftermarket off on reserve from MikesXS and other vendors with similar.
I buy my petcock rubber "valves" from yamaha always found the aftermarket were too thin.

Back