Mikey's new to him 1980 650

:bow: Thanks!! One day I'll go from a mild mannered parts replacer to a parts adjuster
I believe this bike will run today
Last question when balancing the carbs out put the nipple cover on the petcock ? or not really need to

I'll have to try and remember how to post a video
I believe I go post a video on my YouTube account and grab it from YouTube to post if I remember right

Last question when balancing the carbs out put the nipple cover on the petcock ? or not really need to
I'll have to try and remember how to post a video
I believe I go post a video on my YouTube account and grab it from YouTube to post if I remember right
Yes, no need to cover the nipple.
Yes, Youtube then click share from Youtube and link it here with the filmstrip icon.

Thanks !!
Breaks over time to go back out and put it back together and add a little gas to the tank

Yes sir about 3 weeks ago I sent you a PM back in early Aug.
it's time to get em wet

I'm not really sure what you mean by this??? What nipple are you referring to? When balancing the carbs on one of these newer vacuum petcock equipped models, you hook your gauges or manometer to the vacuum nipples on each manifold, switch the petcock to "Prime" so it will still operate, and do the sync job.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this??? What nipple are you referring to? When balancing the carbs on one of these newer vacuum petcock equipped models, you hook your gauges or manometer to the vacuum nipples on each manifold, switch the petcock to "Prime" so it will still operate, and do the sync job.
the vacuum nipples on the manifolds

It runs sorta
I put new gas line to the T between the carbs and it now fires right up with the choke on but when I try and rev it at all it kills
And then when it warms up it will not idle with choke off I need to keep the rpm's past 1500 or it will die on me
I have to assume not enough fuel getting to the carbs ?
Are the fuel filters supposed to be full at all times (mine really doesn't show any fuel)
IMG_20210829_144647107_BURST010.jpg

IMG_20210829_153002448.jpg
I didn't connect up the vacuum line to the carb
Edit : to the petcock not the carb
There seems to be a little more fuel in the filter
When the bike is on choke it idles nicely at about 1400 if I try and slowly give it a little throttle the rpm's go down till until it dies

Last edited:
No, Mikey. Your filters look normal. Sometimes they have fuel in them, sometimes not depending on carb requirement.
I Do like the electric choke :thumbsup:

WOW. Anybody else having trouble with brittle plastic filters? Mines been fine for a year. Something else to worry about?
Thu

That fuel filter may cause you problems in the near future, quite possibly leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Ethanol just seems to eat em and cause em to break. just look at em wrong and they snap.

switched to these, which can be cleaned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787JM7D1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

got nothing to do with your update but I just noticed em and figured I’d give a warning.
I try and never run fuel with ethanol unless I'm on the road and have no choice

No, Mikey. Your filters look normal. Sometimes they have fuel in them, sometimes not depending on carb requirement.

WOW. Anybody else having trouble with brittle plastic filters? Mines been fine for a year. Something else to worry about?
Thu
I had read a few post here with some negative reviews
It's the only filters I have for right now just to get it running

Thu
Electric choke ? careful I'm easily confused

Sorry, Mikey. Had to put my glasses on. The black cap looked like an electric choke. Oh, Hahaha. It's a pull choke machine! Well S*it! I may as well go play in the traffic!
It's Sunday traffic shouldn't be too bad :D

Looks like the caps are off
mikeys carbs.jpg
have you removed the idle screws, checked all the parts are in place?
BS34 idle needle spring o-ring and hook.jpg

Pulled float bowls insured these orifices are clear?
chokepassage float bowl.jpg
removed pilots made sure THOSE orifices are clear? Rubber caps still cover the pilot wells?

Back