Mikey's new to him 1980 650

I use DID chains. They have 3 non-oring chains. I think they each have their own master link. I buy the same type of chain for all my bikes. I got my spares from the independent bike shop where I buy my chains.
All I have are motorcycle dealer ships here suppose they could hook me up with a new master link
didn't know DID was a brand name I take it the HDS will let them know what style or whatever to buy

All I have are motorcycle dealer ships here suppose they could hook me up with a new master link
didn't know DID was a brand name I take it the HDS will let them know what style or whatever to buy
Your best bet will be to take the chain with you to the dealer and test fit it. Not all masters are created equal. :sneaky:

Your best bet will be to take the chain with you to the dealer and test fit it. Not all masters are created equal. :sneaky:
Do I need a DID specific link
I take it they would know All I really need is a spare clip or 2 just in case 1 gets bent on installation

If you go to a dealer take the chain and master link,clip and all with you. It will help you get the right one. Hopefully the parts guy knows a little something and will take the time to figure out what you need.

master link safety wire.jpg
safety wire master link.jpg

Yep, I use the DID 530 non-o-ring chain and master link. But the next chain will be an o-ring chain. Haven't had to touch the Honda chain just put some lube on it to keep it from rusting.

I've never had a master link clip come off.

I forgot I did that to my 75
I'll have to take a look and see if it still there
I'm not sure of what I even used
Is there something specific your using like wire from your wire feed welder?

PS I've had those plastic filters fold up in use like a K-Mart tent in a wind storm.
I'm late to the game here but the Visu filters are pretty good. It's the cheap, Chinese copies that are pure crap. The Visu filters on my 650 and other bikes have lasted years even with ethanol. Pic below of the cheapies...
chinese filters.JPG

there something specific your using like wire from your wire feed welder?
I use .032 stainless steel safety wire. I get mine from Aircraft Spruce or Sky Geek. If you’re sure to get it without a cert, it’s cheap by the pound. You can apply it with duckbill pliers. Safety wire pliers aren’t necessary.

I'm late to the game here but the Visu filters are pretty good

I use Visu Filters as well. I also find they last forever, so far. I will avoid the knock-offs. I wasn’t aware the knock-off junk was even available. Thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited:
I forgot I did that to my 75
I'll have to take a look and see if it still there
I'm not sure of what I even used
Is there something specific your using like wire from your wire feed welder?
I still have a roll of stainless steel aircraft safety wire from back in the day.
Molly grease with DS2 powder mixed in as lube.
I hit the master link with mineral spirits, a tooth brush, and compressed air before the pic. You can see that lube tends to hang around.
An aluminum sprocket with several thousand miles on it.
20210910_083802.jpg
20210910_083825.jpg

Air craft Spruce wants $1.25 for 25' but $12.95 for shipping (ouch)
I'm to give wire feed wire a try
I could probably go out to the local airport and buy some off one of the guys out there not sure how I could get past security though

Back