Mikuni flatslides

maxx40x

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, maxx40x here;

I am new to the forum, not so new to building bikes. This is a great site. May be the best; yeah the 650 garage is also a good site but I think this site is on the way to being the (THE SITE)
In any event, my question is this;
Why are so few (xs,ers) running Mikuni flat slides on the xs 650/750??:shrug: Is it due to tuning issues? Or is it one of those things (round slide's work so why screw with it)? I have I set of 34mm flat slides on the way, I intend on boring them(the carbs) to 35mm, and tapering the intake spigot from 35mm to 34mm plus or minus 1mm. the spigots are 2.5 in length ( I machined them); 8.5"center of carb to center of valve plus/minus a few. 1mm over Kibblewhite valves Intake and exhaust; Yes; I did have a flow bench at one time, and I do not regret selling it;:banghead: at any rate, why no flat slides? They flow way better, just as easy to set up/tune. Can't be the cost; is it the cool factor/aesthetics??/?????
Hay, I'm just askin. Yeah I know. I gotta post pix of my toys one of these days. Still hunting season here in Oh, and ,well, I need to get to the woods.
Later
>maxx40x:thumbsup:

wow:I am really screwing this post up. Must be the Knob Creek.:doh: I CANT FIX IT> DAMNIT!!!!:banghead::banghead:
In any event, I am talkin aboutMikuni Flatslides. I'll leave now.

- where i live there has been long discussions about VM, TM and Dell'Orto, also a couple running Bings-definitely the outsiders, the roundheads claim ease of setting and better low rev power, the flatheads claim that although set-up can be a little tricky and slides seem to wear more, higher rev range performance gains more than compensate, the Dell'Orto blokes claim gains in all respects and the Bingos call for simplicity...i run a TM on my SR500, VMs on my 750 rephase, BS34s on my 650 rat and those wierd original one and a half carbs on my SRX6...in truth i have no problem with any except maybe the SRX6 and actually like the BS34s...although a mate and i play around with sidecross i dont race any more and am happy with the street performance i get with ive got...now if i wasnt married with young kids i could imagine that i could justify........................

Back