Mikuni VM 34mm carbs

I bought 12 sets from them last year when they said they were in NY and 3 sets worked and i had to buy from SUDCO the proper parts to make them work. AND they blocked me on EBAY like i was going to buy from them again. By from MIKE XS CENTRAL little more but jetting is right on and if call him he gives you all kinds of info. GREAT GUY

I love my 34's. Once I learned 'em, I can tune 'em easily. I've got 4 sets now, one on the bike and the rest rebuilt, tested, and on the shelf. I have about $60.00 in total invested. Of course I have become comfortable enough that I'm afraid of change.

As I said, I have already bought them, so I'll have to see how they work now. I have lived with the stock carbs for about 10 years now. I have taken them apart and cleaned them 4 times, twice even after lining my tank and replacing the petcock with a new and filtered one. I have ridden bikes all my adult life, and these are some of the most picky and tempermental carbs I have ever run. The S&S on my panhead is much better. I always run it out in the fall when I put the bike away. When spring comes, she usually starts and runs just fine. If she is a little tempermental, I take off the air cleaner assembly, cover the carb throat while opening the throttle, give her a couple of hard kicks, and POOSH!, she'll kick out a gush of gas, and then she'll run fine. The best carb I have ever encountered, although it is a slug, is the L&L on my Arrow. No air cleaner, simple single jet round slide carb with an accellerator pump that is wicked simple. The carb is easily adjustable, and, once set, just runs and runs and runs. Does not even have a CHOKE!!! Just a "tickler" on the float bowl to flood the carb.LOL... simple and reliable.

Daddyg, you lucked out big if you got the right needles and NJ's in 25% of those carbies--congratulations, you beat the odds!

SFL has played the same game for years, I've written about it for years, I've helped clean up their messes for years, and I ought to stop cleaning up after them, because at the end of the day I'm providing free tech support for a ripoff artist. As the old timers say around here, them as won't hear it's gonna feel it. Buying cheap can get real expensive.

Well if you already bought them first thing to do when you take them out of the box is look in the air oreface right in front of the carb. See if there is a jet in there if is take it out and see if you can see the needle if not WRONG CARBS DIRT BIKE TWO STROKE. Will only run on choke.I went back and forth with those guys and told the guy to come to my house in NY and show me i am wrong. Then i found out only P O BOX they can be in china for all i know. NOW THEY ARE IN NEVADA NEW NAME WHAT'S up.Better business could not find them in NY. I tried i was going there i was pissed. Just keep changing name. It worked out for me but it was ALL ON MY NICKLE
HOPE YOURS ARE GOOD!!!

Looks like they are linked to someone else.
You ever see those advertisements on TV that tell you that you can make money on EBAY selling products. Well this is most likely one. They give you vendors to buy from you don't even touch or see the parts you just make % of the sale. There are a lot of them on EBAY
They make it sound like they have a building and all they have is a POB.

everyone keeps talking about other threads that explain baseline jetting for the VM34 to the xs650 motor but Haven't seen any links or references... any help please?

VM34s love or hate them,I run a set of very old set of them on my 750 rephase which I also ran on my std 650 origanly rescued this set of a 78se that I wrecked many hair cuts ago, how the PO of that bike rode it ill never know after Id unseized them etc the bike ran but was unridable,untill I got the correct brass for them,another 650 mate bought a new set ridable but shit,when I got the brass rite he tryed them,still remember the text(it idles it runs great lets go for ride)still tinkering with doing the unthinkable at the mo &running differnt jets L-R in and having positve results just when you think there good the sun goes behind a cloud & your out tinkering again,most resent new tool is a inafred thermother & checking temps L-R wil keep you posted

JR, I gave you the URL for the VM Carb Guide in last night's PM. What's the drama?

Steve, stagger jetting is hardly "unthinkable," it's just usually unnecessary outside race conditions.

oh no drama yet. I'm running stock BS38s now and want to upgrade. Trying to get an idea of what needles and jets I should have on hand for a good start to give myself a fighting chance at fuel system nirvana.

it's an otherwise stock 650 (79 special) with the pamco ultimate and chopped header pipes. It runs ok this way but needs a bigger jet or different needle or both. I'm going to 1.5" exhaust shortly, building from TC bros kit. So I have been putting off the carb issue untill I change up the exhaust system... Then it will be 1.5" 2-to-1 into an oversize glasspack-- and I'd like to tune a set of VM34s to run with it like that.

if you have any other ideas about jets/needles to go with the vm34s on a setup like that let me know. I have heard #40 pilot and 145 mains works well with straight but I'm not going to have straight pipes. This is a challenge I hope to face and succeed with the help of a few people and the informations here.

thank you for being part of this great community :cheers:

OK, one more time: the link to the VM carb guide that I wrote for XS650 Garage is www.amckayltd.com/VM34-36.pdf . Suggested baseline information is given there; why do you keep bidding to have it repeated here? Do you think the recommendations change or become more significant if they're directed personally to you?

An XS650 will not run on VM34's with #40 PJ's (way too big) and #145 MJ's (way too small). You'll get absolutely nowhere by second-guessing me with recommendations made for BS-series vacuum carburetors.

I'm done here--I'm not going to play another round of "Write it all again just for me."

yeah sorry GriZZZ-- I went back and found what your were saying previously. . . not tryin to make you repeat yourself. I guess I received some wrong info thanks for setting me straight again

write it all again please, for me... kidding man dont do it

Back