Mikuni VM34's to replace stock carbs...

RJames

XS650 Member
Reaction score
In the middle of a '83 XS650 Special restomod. I've had enough of trying to get the stock carbs to work (I've owned two XS750's and two XS650's). I've seen the VM34 kits on eBay but I'm not sure I need the whole kit. I can buy the carbs separately from the kit, but need to know if the stock intake adapters will work and then I need to buy a 2 into 1 throttle cable and some K&N style air cleaners that will fit the VM carbs. Just trying to save some cash if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

First off, buying cheap from an ebay vendor is a crapshoot. The carbs come from the factory with "generic" jetting, and to tune a VM carburetor for the XS650 you'll need to change every bit of brass in it except the slide, and some tuners change that as well. Then there's the possibility that you'll wind up with a substandard knockoff carburetor or substandard knockoff jets. If your engine hasn't been modified for performance, you might consider the VM32. You can use the stock carb boots on your '83 with VM32 or VM34 carbs: the spigot is a little smaller than the BS34, but you can get a good seal if you replace the OE clamps with good hose clamps. If you think you might need tech support, there are only two vendors I'd recommend: Michael Morse of 650 Central and Gary Hoos of Hoos Racing. Both of these guys are pro tuners, answer their own phones, and return phone calls. Tip: it pays to do your homework before you buy the parts. The Tech menu will give you a lot, and a few searches will show you what kind of snags others have hit so that you can avoid them.

Last edited:
Back