Milestones Today

ramblin5

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turned 54,000 miles today. But I've only done 4,000 of those. Bought this '81 XS on Jan 3rd with 50,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for a couple of years and the tires were 12 years old. So I filled her up with non-ethanol gas and some seafoam. Installed new tires and wheels bearings and changed oil and filter. And now, nine months later I have added 4k miles to her resume. Not a lot of miles, but I had to squeeze them in between the 30,000 I've done on the Harley.

Anyway, the bad news is I now see the first drop of oil from her on the garage floor. Gonna have to see where that's coming from.

IMG_20191010_121533_hdr.jpg

IMG_20191010_121442_hdr.jpg

Now ya done it. The "buckhorn police" will prolly be here shortly... ;)
Congrats on the milestone! What area's the leak coming from?
Yeah, I thought about not posting the buckhorns, but I'm one of those who love them. Hard to tell about the leak. Wiped it off underneath, took it out for a hard ride and now no drip. Maybe seepage behind what I would call the "primary" on a Harley. May take awhile for the seepage to accumulate enough to finally drip.

Oddly enough if you do periodic maintenance it will drip under the LH side cover. Drips on the other side are often the tach drive seal, a near 100% leaker over time..

Check the drive sprocket?

Yup - dollars to doughnuts the big nut on the drive sprocket is loose.

Put the bike in gear, get a helper to hold the rear brake on, bend the capture-washer straight and torque that big nut. then bend the washer back around the nut and it should stop.

The other potential leak on the left side is the clutch pushrod seal. It can be replaced with the engine in the bike - and the part is not expensive.

I lubricate drive chains with engine oil and sometimes a bike will leave a drip from the 'fling' in the front sprocket area?

Back