Milky Grey fluid from Breath box (Over Flow Tubes)

it seems weird to me too, pics really help, and it would be good to get an idea of how much oil we’ talking about, I’ve only rebuilt a couple of engines but they were all tight as a drum after, good compression before first start and then getting even better after being ridden, are you getting any smoke on start up? it’s normal to get some the first time you start it after a rebuild but it should be fine after that, also you said there was oil flying everywhere, can you elaborate on that a little? and you also said you ran it for 15min without riding it, normally when I run my bike without riding it, like when tuning it, I put a fan in front of it and turn it on once the bike is warmed up a little, air cooled motors need air flowing over them, let us know how your compression test goes.

I had pics and sent them off to Geoff the first day it leaked. I don’t have them anymore and deleted them from my phone like a idiot. I didn’t think I was going to seek help online/ wasn’t expecting to share photo’s. I didn’t want to piss off the mechanics. However I will ride the bike today or tomorrow and get ya some photo’s of oil leaks. Not getting any smoke on start up to answer your question. Yes we did at first but that was just old shit in the muffs from before the rebuild and the poor running engine.
The oil flying everywhere in better description appeared to be coming from the left side cover. Maybe the starter web case (6 bolt cover to starter assembly on left side if bike)
It was inside the left hand side cover once removed. It almost appeared it could have been coming from the shifter shaft out of the casing because the case for the starter web was soaked. Wiped it all clean and started over. When I ran the bike sitting there I had both doors to my garage open on a breezy day. I live next to the ocean and there is always a decent breeze. Next time I add fan to be safe. Thanks for the tip! :)
Thanks for the help and time

Do a compression test, the rings may not have seated or some other break in thing.
That's the only reason I can think of for lots of oil out the breather.
What is the ring gap? Piston to bore measurement?
I think we all hesitate to point internet fingers at anyone but nobody is perfect.

Good luck!
Any chance you know what good compression numbers are? Thanks for the help
Twinlewi

If you have an iphone you can retrieve deleted photos. Just google "undelete photos on iphone" for instructions. I am sure Android also has this capability.

Back