"Milwaukee Iron" an 81 hulk, clawing back from the brink.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
No great shakes, just a wake up. Trying real hard to do everything in order.
It had 165 145 compression cold and not oiled.
Had to replace shift shaft, stripped splines. So side covers got cleaned, buffed a bit, new front sprocket, clutch pushrod seal. Rotor and brushes tested good. Oil and filters changed. Head retorque done, cam chain and valves set. cylinders got carb cleaner, then PB blaster, valve seals got PB blaster, lots of plugs out, kicking. After replacing the roached fuse box, TCI ignition makes sparks, YEAH!, Fired and ran a few seconds off a bit of carb cleaner. Carbs up next.
Slowly dragging in lots of parts from the shed to make it complete enough to test ride.
DSCN3025.JPG DSCN3037.JPG DSCN3030.JPG DSCN3046.JPG DSCN3208.JPG DSCN3234.JPG DSCN3233.JPG

Last edited:
No great shakes, just a wake up. Trying real hard to do everything in order.
It had 165 145 compression cold and not oiled.
Had to replace shift shaft, stripped splines. So side covers got cleaned, buffed a bit, new front sprocket, clutch pushrod seal. Rotor and brushes tested good. Oil and filters changed. Head retorque done, cam chain and valves set. cylinders got carb cleaner, then PB blaster, valve seals got PB blaster, lots of plugs out, kicking. After replacing the roached fuse box, TCA ignition makes sparks, YEAH!, Fired and ran a few seconds off a bit of carb cleaner. Carbs up next.
Slowly dragging in lots of parts from the shed to make it complete enough to test ride.
View attachment 129280 View attachment 129281 View attachment 129282 View attachment 129283 View attachment 129284 View attachment 129285 View attachment 129286
Gee, Gary, you're all over the place! I used to have my 71 and two 72's on the road at once. I sold one 72 to my friend and one to my bro-in-law. My friend sold his on eBay to a collector from Japan. My bro's was put in storage as soon as he bought it and it's still there. I sold them both for $650 each. I'm thinking of trying to get his back. He's got hoarder disorder. I hate to see what it looks like, now, though. I've spent the summer buying parts, while my sprained arm healed. But now, I gotta put my van together. Yesterday, I rec'd delivery on a 2019 Chevy Express 2500. Special order. the first '19 to come to the dealer. I ordered special back in July, before production started. A plain vanilla cargo van, with a twist; 6cyl, hi EF, 8spd trans, posi rear, tilt, cruise, 6 way power seats, hitch, pop open windows. Now, I'm putting a bed in and window screens and moving the spare out from underneath to behind the driver's seat. because it always happens, you get a flat in the slush...

Last edited:
Better do it fast or get a ski for front for as far north as you are. How is riding weather now?

Don't worry. It'll take shape when the light bulb appears over your head. (I love when that happens!) And its got spokes! (Zillions of 'em!) I'm sure she's in good hands. Whatever you do with it will be much better than it rotting away someplace... :thumbsup:

Parallel universe Gary, cold 19° plus snow too. I,m doing the same with a '80. This is my 1st xs, it's mostly a complete bike. Bought through the Rawhide Ranch (Bart Starr) auction this October. I'm doing the wakeup in order like you, I've got sparks too. I have the title from previous owner, I might try to find his phone number and ask about the bikes story.

Aimless project too, bars changed to lower scrambler shape, that backrest is now gone.
small-l1600.jpg

Honestly, I'm surprised at how many of these are still around with those silly bars still on them, lol. But, don't scrap them, cut them up and make things out of them, like these grab handles for lugging XS motors around .....

Rb7XZck.jpg

7KPpfIF.jpg

5NuwcZ9.jpg

Or, a long straight section with an old hand grip fitted makes a nice "breaker" extension for your ratchet.

Man must of got that engine from the bottom of a lake lol!
The LAKE!?!! That motor looks better than the one in "The Basketcase"! And those bars can actually be made more ergonomically comfortable by cutting and angling the grip portions out (plug welds). This would give you, basically, high-rise bars (Schwinn Stingray, anybody?). :bike:

Back