minimum tci voltage

bradshaw106

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been fighting with my bike to get it running properly. after having it die a couple miles from my house I found that charging system was not working properly. What is the minimum voltage the ignition will still work?? wondering if this is causing my problems instead of carb issues. I measured 11.5v at the bat with the bike not running.

Should be a bit over 12.5v there abouts not running. Idleing around 1100rpm- 11+/- v.
On mine the real charging doesn't kick in to 13.75-14v untill around 2500rpm.
A mounted voltmeter is a must, IMHO.

I should clarify in my earlier post I said my charging system wasn't working properly what I meant was wasn't working at all... But i know what the problem is so im not concerned about just need to get around to fixing it...
I was mainly wondering if their was enough voltage drop with the bike running to cause it to run bad?? or if the tci unit could function way below 11 volts??
I imagine the coil doesn't like the low voltage all that much???

The standard TCI system wont run long on a battery not being charged, especially if your using the electric leg or a headlight.

Quite common for these bikes to crap out when the charge system does. Fix your charging system & all will be good again!

Check the tech section for good info on diagnosing & repairing alternator issues, :cheers:

OK, I found with mine when I had a bad rotor that I could run about 40 mile after a full charge on a trickle charger. Turn signals would hardly blink at a stop. I'd get her home and charge her again for the next days commute. It worked but was a pain in the ass after a while and my mentor would bust my stones about not putting her right.

If you need to ride it unplug the reg/rec This will save a few amps of current draw. The TCI won't like voltage much at 9 volts. Be hard to start and run like crap.

Back