Miss November XS2 tribute

"a minor miracle." Yeah... more like perseverance and hard work. Good on ya mate.

Way to Go ! What a beautiful glamour girl you do have ! It's all you Raymond, you saved that XS.

Thank you, Jim and Machine! Lots of good encouragement from yourselves and the XSives on this forum.

Raymundo. Looks good! I agree that simplified wiring is the way to go. I designed and built mine from scratch. It’s a good way to learn and makes trouble shooting (although I haven’t had to do much) a breeze. Seems like the 40+ year old components cause nothing but grief.

Peter, it just seemed to me that buying a harness, which might turn out to be the wrong one anyway, was going to leave the electrical side a mystery and a source of unreliability. Especially with a lot of unneeded functions. So, completely re-doing the wiring on a simpler basis was gonna be easier for me to understand. Hopefully it will be reliable but if not, well at least I stand a chance of troubleshooting something I made. Hopefully.

Ah, the little details:

PICT2082.JPG

Reported the kick-start a bit 'lively' so today retarded it a very small amount. Moved the Boyer Bransden pick-up plate just a tiny smidgen anti-clockwise.

Then of course kick started the bike. Didn't actually go out though due to severe salt . . .

Last edited:
Didn't actually go out though due to severe salt . . .

Able to put that right today. Apparently, we're in the midst of Storm Jorge. It's certainly a bit windy but this afternoon the rain has stopped and the sun has come out. The persistent rain last night must surely have washed most of the salt off the roads? No 2nd invitation required.

PICT2084.JPG

Even so, still had to wash the Tangerine Nightmare of course! Only about sixteen miles in less than ideal conditions.

But it's a funny thing - enjoying this bike more when I get to go for a ride.

Managed to sneak another few miles.

PICT2087.JPG

Note salt on tyres - the local cooncil still spreading hundred of tons of the stuff every night if there's any chance of ice. Or even frost. Or even overtime payments.

Riding observations: Front brake definitely has more 'feel'. The XS feels very 'planted' - solid and stable in a straight line. The sound is great - that's probably a bit subjective. Gearing seems a little bit low - 50 mph comes up at 3,500 rpm - but that's probably better than being geared too high. Handling promises to be at least good enough, though I haven't had a chance to seek out bendy roads and do many miles yet.

Mileage since purchase about 260. Expenditure since purchase £2579.51 Gulp! That's in addition to what I paid for the bike.

Probably buy better shocks soon, but that can wait till I've sought out those bendy roads and also assessed how well or badly Missy handles British austerity road surfaces.

Would like to upgrade the front disc and have seen this one on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

Drilled and much lighter than the standard manhole cover. BUT when I used the site's check if this fits your bike, computer said No. It's a 298 mm EBC disc and supposed to fit XS650 Special for other years but not 1978. I'm puzzled and will get in touch with the seller to see why not. Anything I need to know about single front discs fitted to 1978-83 XS650s, wire spoked/cast wheels? Are they all same size & 6-bolt fitment?

Better go and wash the bike now.

Last edited:
yeah 77 up rotors all the same.

Hi Raymondo,
as Gary sez, all '77 & later front disks swap.
But it's more complicated than that.
Yamaha's "parts swap like LEGO" design philosophy is working here.
Each style of '77 & later XS650 front wheel swaps between XS650/750/850/1100s
Front disks swap between XS650 & XS1100.
Using XS1100 Slotted disks will save you a whole bunch of drilling.
The smaller front disks on XS750/850s swap with the XS650's rear disk.

Grabbed a few more miles between showers this afternoon. Rain has washed most of the salt off the roads.

Getting used to the idea that the bike is there, available, to ride whenever I like. Must have done about 60 miles in the past few days, since putting her back together.

There is vibration, but I don't find it intrusive. Might be a frequency thing or might be low amplitude? Not annoying, but might change my mind if fingers or other parts of anatomy go numb after 50 miles in the saddle. Need to remember to carry 13 mm open-ender though - the rear l/h indicator loosened up in just a few miles . . .

Enjoying the nice solid feel of the ride. Stable. But corners well, at pootling speeds anyhow.

If your worried about salt then you need this product............ https://www.lanotec.com.au/product-category/products/ the general purpose is all that's needed but the heavy duty if the thoughts travel to there.

I buy it in the 5 liter container for value and i live close to the beach and use it on all my vehicles inside and out.

Scottish distributor down the bottom of the page. could be someone closer buys off them
http://lanotecindustries.com/suppliers.php?Range=Scotland&submit=Search

Had an old 74 HJ45 Toyota tray back i transported to an outer island in the Torris straight and it takes 3 days by barge to get there from Thursday island. I sprayed the HJ45 completely inside and out with this stuff, using a spray bottle and used close to the whole 5 liters.

I watch the barge arrive and it was up the front, (they used the smaller barge due to tides and access to the island, only 100 acres), and it was rough enough that the ocean spray was completely washing over he whole of the truck. Got it on shore and ran a hose over the truck without rubbing off the Lanolin, just water and no rubbing.

Was there for 8 months and even though the paint on the HJ was faded and down to the metal in places, absolutely no rust showed up except one small part of the rack i had missed the rust had broken out...................

Do yourself a favor.

Thanks, Skull, that product looks interesting.

I use ACF50 spray to protect as much as I can. But the bloody salt seems to work it's way into drive chain, brakes, inaccessible areas of engine casings, fins, etcetera. Just got to protect what you can and wash the bike after going out on salty roads. But also got to be philosophical - try not to get too precious about keeping the bike rust-free. Or you'd never go out.

Yesterday, made a trip to Kelso on an errand. Twenty mile round trip in blustery and showery weather.

Great to report that I had no doubts at any time that the bike would let me down. Not exactly pushing on - probably 50 or occasionally 60 mph, or that's 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. Engine very happy at that speed and feels like there's plenty more to come. Even from 2,000 rpm on a light throttle there's willing torque.

But my goodness, words always fail to capture that feeling of elation or freedom that comes with the simple fact of whizzing along between the hedgerows on two wheels. It's only a moderate speed for a vehicle but feels like being able to run very fast?

Roll on spring.

Last edited:
Yes, the Special is a very stable platform, feels more "planted" than my Standard did when I first got it. I've "fixed" the Standard now by installing a TX750 swingarm and better rear shocks. I recently did the same to the Special but it didn't have near the same effect. Really, it didn't have to because it was good already. I thought the 16" rear wheel and fatter tire might be part of it, but I've swapped on an 18" wheel and it still feels good. That leaves the more laid down shock mount angle. I think it's a better design than the more upright shock mounting on the Standard. It triangulates with the swingarm better and makes for a stiffer assembly.

A couple more things - drilling your disc will greatly improve how it works when wet, help a little when dry too. You may not feel the need to replace it then, I never did - but I do want them drilled. And consider re-routing your front brake line. Keep it in front of the lower tree like you have it, just route it behind that beauty plate like so .....

SecvIYM.jpg

On the front of the lower tree, there are a couple drilled and tapped holes from where the original line splitter mounted. You can add a rubber lined clip there to route the line through .....

PKlR6YY.jpg

bSwxpn8.jpg

Thank you 5T. Unfortunately, can't really drill the disc myself - don't have a pillar drill and I'm assured it's a complete waste of time tying to do that job with a hand-held drill. So, would have to take to an engineer. Which I might do. But have been looking on ebay and can buy that EBC disc - see post #807 above - which might be a good option. It's lighter, only 5mm thick. Needs EBC pads too of course. I wonder if the thinner disc will give issues with the caliper mounting?

I fully intend to pass the brake line behind the beauty plate - like that name for it - when I next dismantle in that area.

Back