Miss November XS2 tribute

After some googling, have bought ten O-rings (!) from BearingBoys and one oil seal from Fowlers Parts of Bristol.

You could spend forever searching for the best deal,comparing prices and postage. But sometimes life's too short . . .

Perhaps the truly amazing thing is that in this internet world we can actually locate and buy those little items we need for our obsolete bikes?

Yes, that size is correct. Here's a list I made up. Sizes are in MM and shown as I.D.- O.D.- thickness .....

s3szjME.jpg

Note the two cam seal sizes listed. The first, the 5mm thick one, was what Yamaha used for the first few years. Then they switched to the second one, the 6mm thick seal. They have now gone back to selling the 5mm thick seal as a replacement. The way the end of the cam doesn't stick out very much, I think the 5mm thick seal is a better choice and option.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more you might like. The first is an explanation of the letter codes. The second is just a general description of seal function but contains that useful tip about packing grease into the seal. I underlined it .....

yyYBjLA.jpg

BwE3VtU.jpg

I've been grease packing that space between the lips on all my seals now and so far, it seems to be working well. It certainly doesn't seem to have hurt in any way.

3iddQQH.jpg

7F9Ge1W.jpg

Last edited:
Oil seal 9310407036 now received. Hopefully fits tacho drive. Still waiting for ten viton O-rings then do oil change and take a look at the oil leak.

Meantime:

View attachment 173369

Well?

Hmmm....she looks rather sad that way - but if it keep the slippery stuff inside then, all-good.

P

Got started in there today. Change the tacho drive oil seal? Five minute job!

Pulled the r/h side-cover:

PICT2356.JPG

The gasket looks mostly ok so I'll clean the face on the cover and re-use the gasket. Hopefully oil tight.

Took a look at the tacho drive:

PICT2354.JPG

Clearly, the drive shaft has suffered the ravages of rust. Unscrewed the threaded bush to get to the oil seal:

PICT2355.JPG

Apologies for the poor photo but that is not a very happy seal. It's stuck in there with rust. There's no access to get behind the seal and push it out so it was removed with BFI.*

The business end of the shaft, plus the seal holder and the threaded bush will spend tonight in vinegar. Tomorrow, see how they clean up.

Considered swapping the parts from the spare engine, but I really don't want to go down that route.

*Brute Force and Ignorance. Well, a small screwdriver hammered down into the seal, twisted and levered out.

Having spent the night in vinegar - the parts not me - cleaned them off, removed as much rust as I could inside and out, polished the shaft. Even rubbed the outer section with emery paper but it's quite pitted. Just have to hope it's not too bad where the seal goes. Pushed the new oil seal into place and fitted a new O-ring:

PICT2357.JPG

I guess that as good as it's gonna get so nailed everything back together.

No time for a test today.

Today, at last, able to take the diva for a test run. On basis of a run to Galashiels, leak at tacho seems to have gone:
View attachment 173716
Result! Will have to see how long the cure lasts . . .
Gratuitous photo in her full glory:
View attachment 173717

Hi Raymondo.
I picked that colour too. I asked the paint shop for the colour for Astro Towtrucks
They said that's a GM Truck colour called Tangier Orange.
650 sa rig 1.JPG XS11 rig.JPG

Nah, Miss November sports a candy finish - semi-transparent colour laid over metallic silver. Changes as the light changes. Wanted to replicate the finish on 1972 XS2 but no info available. I think I said somewhere Mrs decided I had chosen the colour to match the Californian poppies in the front garden.

Ahhh! Have been reading with interest the discussion of fitting grease nipples (!) to http://www.xs650.com/members/fixthe.31448/ centre stand.

Have owned the XS for more than fourteen months but only just starting to get round to looking at details in many areas. My excuse is there have been other priorities. But I had this idea that there are already nipples, on the ends of the pivot bolts?

Then today, Jim posted this and I now understand what is there:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-xs-today.32082/page-459#post-659196

This is what we have:

PICT2360.JPG

So what I need to do is get a grease gun on there. As have often found on this bike, there are a lot of nice touches - some PO has thought about the bike.

But also need to get a better camera - the one I'm using to photograph detailed areas makes 'em look much more rusty than they are really.

Anybody know what that tab under the pivot bolt is?

Back