Miss November XS2 tribute

So, for 6 x 1, I need 5 mm drill bit? As 5T said? Good.

Before I drill, just been thinking. The obvious place to put the grease nipple is on the weld, in the middle, under the swing-arm.

View attachment 178321

That's the underside.

But as I said, been thinking and that's always dangerous.

When the bike is back together, the chain and the centre-stand and the exhausts are going to get in the way of applying a grease gun. Is under the best place to put the nipple, or would it be more accessible in a similar position but on top of the swing-arm?
On mine, i put the zerk on top. It is hardly visible anyway. And just one more comment, regarding purchasing taps and dies. I recommend sticking to US, western Europe or Japanese made cutting tools. Being Norwegian i try to stick to German or Danish (!) made taps and drill bits. Ebay, HF and similar are swamped with cheap, chinese made stuff.

On mine, i put the zerk on top. It is hardly visible anyway. And just one more comment, regarding purchasing taps and dies. I recommend sticking to US, western Europe or Japanese made cutting tools. Being Norwegian i try to stick to German or Danish (!) made taps and drill bits. Ebay, HF and similar are swamped with cheap, Chinese made stuff.

Hi arctic,
excellent documentation is one of the many things the Chinese invented.
Their high pressure tube connections came with paperwork saying they were one-piece forgings.
Our QA dept X-rays showed that they were beautifully polished weldments.

Hi arctic,
excellent documentation is one of the many things the Chinese invented.
Their high pressure tube connections came with paperwork saying they were one-piece forgings.
Our QA dept X-rays showed that they were beautifully polished weldments.
Yes, not very trustworty at all. A maritime supervisor once told me that the expected lifetime of copper-nickel sea water piping was much shorter after having it installed in Singapore than for example in Hamburg. And that was not related to the work done by the yards. Pipe certificates showed the same material composition and manufacturing standards. Only difference was where the pipes were made.......On a smaller scale, generic flat metric washers purchased in Singapore generally had 50% thickness compared to DIN standard. I could continue forever.....

Grease nipple fitted. After indecisive cogitating, went for under the pivot:

PICT2465.JPG

Happy with how the job went. Especially considering that's the first time I've drilled and tapped for a fitting.

In the absence of the proper tool to turn the taps, discovered that the spoke spanner is a tight fit on the square part. Serendipity!

The grease nipple needed a 9mm open ended spanner - not a size that gets called for often.

Spot of thread lock and tightened it in. Not overjoyed about the angle it ended up, would have preferred it to point to the right, away from the chain side, or at least a little bit more towards the back of the bike.

But hey, it's in and secure and I tested it by squirting some grease in. If I cannot get to it with the wheel in, then it will have to be a maintenance job that gets done when the wheel is out.

Onwards and upwards!

Get a rubber hose attachment for your grease gun, it will make accessing that fitting much easier .....

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2326-Grease-Gun-Hose/dp/B00EVPLUO0?th=1

I have one but it is rather a pain to have to change it when needed, so I went ahead and bought a whole other grease gun that came that way, with only the rubber hose. It's also a one handed "pistol grip" type. It's great and I find myself using it more than my others. You can see it here on the left .....

orYkx08.jpg

That's OK Raymond, I once bought my Mom a model airplane for Christmas. She very graciously asked me to assemble it for her. :sneaky:

Hi Jim,
that reminds me of an old Brit radio comedy show discussion about Xmas gifts.
Barbara :- I bought you this full length mink coat.
Bernard :- I bought you this complete set of golf clubs.
Barbara ;- Let's swap.

Hi Jim,
that reminds me of an old Brit radio comedy show discussion about Xmas gifts.
Barbara :- I bought you this full length mink coat.
Bernard :- I bought you this complete set of golf clubs.
Barbara ;- Let's swap.

DANGIT Fred - first Jim and then YOU made me snort.

hehehehe

Ahem. Today, will have a look at whether that disc will fit. If not, will have to send it back.

It looks more deeply dished. Probably just because the centre is a different shape. Best will be to take the front wheel out, which could be a bit awkward without the rear wheel in place either.

Or as this is an unseasonably mild November day might go out on another bike.

Or you could just measure the disc offset. From the mounting surface to the outside face of the disc, a stock 7mm thick disc of the later type measures about 19mm. A 5mm thick disc would be about 1mm less, or 18mm .....

full

But then, EBC make lots of discs so did you get the right one ....?

I hope so!

It was advertised as fitting XS650 1980-83 or some such. Emailed the seller to ask if it would fit 1978 XS650SE but never had a reply. That was months ago.

However 5T said all later XS disc are the same, so went ahead and ordered. Have just been in the garage and checked using the 19mm offset 5T gives:

PICT2474.JPG

Photo doesn't really show it very well but that's spot on so I'm sure it will be fine.

Thank you for the feedback on your EBC disc. Miss November has Hel brake line and new RD250 master cylinder, which have already greatly improved the braking.

Pleasure from the little things.

PICT2476.JPG

Don't have a 'before' picture so you'll have to take my word for it that the centre-stand spring was rusty and caked in dirt. Two days in a vinegar bath later?

Told Mrs I'd managed to buy a new one. But she knows me too well . . .

She knew because she spotted the spring in the bottom of a jar of gherkins in her fridge...:oops:.

Ohhhh, and I just betcha she was pleased about THAT!

This all reminds me of Jim's wife who has an aircraft sparkplug tester stored in the perfect handy spot on the kitchen counter and my wife who is so happy when I occasionally put my array of little parts dishes through the dishwasher to spruce them up a bit - along with her best china dishes.

Our ladies really do put up with a lot don't they?

Last edited:
Back