1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Miss November XS2 tribute

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Raymond, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Today, finally got round to re-wiring and re-fitting the indicators. Aka trafficators, flashers, turn signals.

It's peeing down with rain today so it felt good to spend two hours in the garage, cutting new earth wires, sheathing them with heat shrink, crimping bullets. This earth wire, fitted 2019, shows why the wires need to be armoured with heat shrink - without additional protection, the insulation has worn away and the copper has mostly spilt. Caused by vibration and rubbing where the wire passes up through the orifice in the rear mudguard. One solution would be to ride the bike less. [Raspberry]

PICT2739.JPG

Tidied up the wiring under the seat a little bit as well.

All four flashers now flash - a few years ago, before I owned a Triumph TR6, knew nada about bike wiring and would probably have been at a loss to fix them.

MaxPete, Mailman, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  2. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Is said orifice protected by a grommet?

Mailman, Jim, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Raymond

No.

I suppose I might try and make up something?

Jim and Adamc like this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Got any pics of how your wiring is routed? I ask because the turn signal wiring on neither of mine goes through any holes in the fender. It never did and it was never intended to. It simply runs along the side of the fender to up under the seat.

Raymond likes this.
  5. jetmechmarty

Yep! A grommet will fix it.

Raymond, Jim and Adamc like this.
  6. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Nothing like a grommet, eh’ Wallace:yikes:

teamWicked, Raymond, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  7. Raymond

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Took a look at CMSNL - there seems to be a grommet in the parts diagram but they don't list it so I guess it's NLA.

5T, when the XS was delivered to me, it had chromed bullet turn signals, first pic, with two wires run through the fixing. The new signals second and third pics have a different bulb holder with only one wire, run through the fixing - 1 & 4. I suppose the body should provide the earth but with the signals mounted on the grab rail I was not happy the earth was good enough so added ring-terminal earths, 2 & 5. This puts the cabling for signals and rear lights under the mudguard, so I gathered it with a cable tie just ahead of the frame loop and passed the lot through the hole or orifice LOL number 3.

PICT2742.JPG PICT2740a.jpg PICT2741a.jpg

Cannot see how I could conveniently run the turn signal wiring up over the mudguard. Some bikes I've run in the past have a wiring channel welded under the guard.

But it rubs. Looked through my old junk to see what I could find. No suitable grommet, and as a makeshift solution have cut a piece of inner tube, wrapped the wires and pushed halfway through:

PICT2743.JPG

That'll fix 'er.

Well, a bit unsightly but it's under the seat. I'll keep an eye on it and see how that lasts.

MaxPete, Scripto VU, Jim and 4 others like this.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Unsightly? Not our Miss September! The wiring is all bundled neatly, zip tied and organized. She’s a beauty! :heart:

MaxPete, Oldfartaussie, Adamc and 4 others like this.
  9. Raymond

Managed a quick trip to Galashiels between rain showers.

PICT2744.JPG

Wind behind us on the way home - felt like we were flying.

10. 5twins

Yes, for some reason, none of the Special rear fender diagrams show or list the grommet, but the Standard diagrams do, and it's still available. It's a rather special one, oval shaped, and while the diagrams call for two (another back where the tail light wire goes through the fender), I think that's a mistake. That tail light grommet is just a round one. Here's a Special and Standard rear fender compared. Both have that oval grommet for the wires to pass through .....

[​IMG]

Here's the part .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/90480-15061-00?ref=9748c02ecc98f16debd6306ab4a7b7cd968807e5

MaxPete, Mikey, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  11. 5twins

Finally got some pics of the turn signal wiring on my Special. As I said, it just runs along the side of the fender .....

[​IMG]

..... then runs up between the fender and frame, and just lays loose on top of the fender. Kinda messy looking yes, but it's covered by the seat so you never see it .....

[​IMG]

MaxPete, Raymond, Mikey and 2 others like this.
  12. Raymond

Thank you, 5T. I'll probably stick with what I've got but might protect the wiring under the mudguard a bit better with a rolled-up length of inner tube, secured using a cable tie through that hole just in front of the frame loop.

MaxPete, jetmechmarty and Adamc like this.
  13. Raymond

Since September, E10 is the standard fuel in Britain. In some parts of England you can still buy ethanol-free but the best I can find in Scotland is E5. So have been adding Ethomix to the fuel tank - today was the third tank-full I doctored with this:

https://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-cor...MI0M-SvZLH8wIVg5qGCh3q-A4ZEAQYAyABEgKyrvD_BwE

Other fuel additives are available.

For some reason, maybe I have been very gentle with the throttle or maybe I didn't fill the tank as full, but achieving 69 mpg which is about 10% better than usual. That's about 55 to a US gallon?

It might be that premium fuel really does deliver better mileage?

Mailman, MaxPete, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  14. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Thank for the info Raymond. I’ll get some.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  15. Torchard

Torchard XS650 Enthusiast

So, I see the posts on this subject range over 3-4 years, and as you point out the tech continues to evolve. I was able to fully understand/find explanation for the pros and cons so will try here: I am considering an H4 into a 6” after market headshell. My hope is this would place a lower demand when idling/start-up given that I’m using a capacitor. Is the load less than conventional bulb? And I read references that these are not PMA friendly. Is that so, and why? If compatible, are they plug and play as this one suggests?

https://auxito.com/products/9003-h4...bDxBFdAI-88kLEilbtsKJPA8omCKl0kgaAsAMEALw_wcB

Thanks. Todd

Adamc likes this.
  16. Torchard

*Edit* wasn’t able to …

17. Torchard

Heh. I kind of fumbled through that first post. Let me add that I have an aftermarket Harley 6 inch H4 based headlamp currently. So the LED equivalent should be a drop in. I’m using a capacitor only and I have a PMA installed. The current headlamp is wired direct to the ignition so it’s on at start up and appears to draw heavily on the capacitor which makes it very difficult to start the bike. When I unplug the headlamp the bike fires right up. Thnx

jetmechmarty and Adamc like this.
  18. jetmechmarty

With PMA and capacitor I believe you should leave the H4 and wire in a headlight switch.

19. Raymond

I think this discussion has ended up on the wrong thread.

Adamc, Jim and Mikey like this.
  20. jetmechmarty

You're right, and my apologies.

Mikey, Adamc and Jim like this.